Drilling problems with a 9a

Ok, so I ran it on the highest speed today, and I now see that my center drill is mildly shaking vertically, which I suspect is the problem.

So perhaps it is alignment after all...

Attachments

• drill-shake.jpg
    drill-shake.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 15
Tail stock out of alignment.

Make a spool to check it.

Search my posts for a detailed instruction on making and using.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Your threads on making a spool require drilling a center. :)
Tail stock out of alignment.

Make a spool to check it.

Search my posts for a detailed instruction on making and using.

Your threads on making a spool require drilling a center. So...

It's possible that the base of your tailstock is worn from years of use. If so placing the correct size shim stock between the upper and lower half of the tailstock will take care of it.

Ok, so I ran it on the highest speed today, and I now see that my center drill is mildly shaking vertically, which I suspect is the problem.

So perhaps it is alignment after all...
A drill will try to self center - even with it being out of alignment. This doesn't explain why it isn't drilling into mild steel (it does explain why you are breaking small bits).

Your threads on making a spool require drilling a center. :)

Your threads on making a spool require drilling a center. So...
In the old bays you marked the center with a square and drilled it on your bench.

If a center drill does not work it is baaaaad.

One could try extending the quill fully with leaving the tail stock loose and pushing by hand.

It will self center maybe.

Or...

Just face the stock and notice the bump in the middle.

Place a center in the tail stock and adjust until it aligns.

Not perfect but close enough to possible work.

They sell offset bolts . Perhaps you could find an offset chuck ? ! :D

A drill will try to self center - even with it being out of alignment. This doesn't explain why it isn't drilling into mild steel (it does explain why you are breaking small bits).

When I use the chuck, it moves slightly up and away

The chuck is "probably" pulling towards the rotation center which might help with the shimming of the tail stock.

Stu

I ordered an Edge Tailstock Alignment Bar and found I was off .003 vertically and .015 horizontally. I shimmed the tailstock by .004 (assuming the bed is more worn closer to the headstock) and corrected the horizontal. Drills now stay centered (don't move/shake) and drill clean. Not like butter, but they go.

Surprised that being offset by such a small amount makes so much of a difference, but I guess I shouldn't be.

I doubt very much that being a few thousandths off would cause a center drill to break. Without seeing how hard you are feeding that center drill and not knowing your experience level I'm just guessing, but all the guys who broke center drills where I used to work were feeding them too hard for the speed of that the spindle was running, both in lathes and mills. They are fairly delicate and break easily. You need to baby them and use plenty of oil.

Ted

Back