Drilling problems with a 9a

Not dull, I tried more than one brand new bit.

I'll try 680 and a ruler to see how the points line up and will report back.

brand new doesn't mean much, you may have a really bad batch. I've seen it, recently someone reported the same on practical machinist group.

if you have a drill press, give it a try, or even a regular drill.

When I'm facing a piece of stock to be center drilled. I give the apron wheel a little "tap" towards the headstock just as the tool gets to the center, this gives a slight dimple that centers the drill perfectly.

brand new doesn't mean much, you may have a really bad batch. I've seen it, recently someone reported the same on practical machinist group.

if you have a drill press, give it a try, or even a regular drill.
I agree. In a brain dead moment a few years ago I ordered a box of #2 center drills. I'd been looking at Keo's all day and didn't realize the ones I ordered conveniently lacked the brand name. I ended up with just what I ordered. A box of cheapie chinesium ones that wouldn't cut hot butter. It wasn't just one, the whole box full was rubbish. I pitched them in the trash and ordered a box of Keo's.

Like most tooling the prices are going out of sight lately. 2 years ago a #2 Keo 60* center drill was selling for $2.00 when buying singles. They were as low as $1.25 per unit when buying by the box. I loaded up at the time buying several boxes of #1s, #2s, and #3s. I bought 2 boxes each of #4s, #5s, and #6s. They were all under $5.00 a unit when purchased by the box.. Today #4's are around $5.00 to $6.00 a copy, #5s are around $8.00, and #6s are around $12.00 plus shipping when bought as singles. Why the #4s remained the same price and the 5s, or 6s are so much more expensive is a mystery to me.

It's aligned by eye with a magnifying glass as I said, but I'm having trouble drilling a hole for a test bar to get it any better. Unless you have suggestions for how I could check alignment without one.

You could sweep the tailstock quill or a dead center with an indicator held in your chuck

Center drills like fast speed and light feed.... I've run them slow, but I baby them feed wise with plenty of cutting oil. Unless your tail stock is way out of alignment, I would say you are running too slow for the feed you are using or you aren't using cutting oil which will make things worse.

For example, when using a center drill in my Bridgeport I'm running over 1000 RPM. If you are running ~500 RPM you will need to be pretty soft on your tail stock feed wheel or you will break that center drill for sure.

Good luck,
Ted

For whatever size center drill you are using, measure the drill point diameter. Look that diameter up in the HSS speed charts available on-line. I think you will find that a 1/8" diameter drill should be run probably ~2000 RPM. Don't quote me on that number, because I'm guessing, but it's a lot faster than your lathe runs.

Bottom line.... feed VERY lightly and use plenty of cutting oil to help.

Ted

I suspect something else is amiss. Even a cheap center drill should have no problem with those two steels.

I only use cheap center drills on my 9b and don't have any problems. And my machine is wore out and I have no idea the spindle rpm

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Try a spotting drill . If it drills easily I'd say it's dull center drills .

Back