Does It Exists, 3 Axis Display 4 Igaging Dro?

If i can get my hands on an absolute igaging scale I would be happy to do this too.
Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Can you get the Absolute iGaging to work on Touch DRO?

I don't see any reason why not. Unless they did something like encrypt the data between the scales and display unit it should be possible.

Last edited:
Mksj, with the touch DRO you don't rely on one person for support. The code is open source which means if Yuri abandones it someone can take up where he left off. It if something is not implemented in a way that most like, others can fork the code and implement it that way.
Processing power is always a good thing. My touch dro on my mill benefits greatly from it. I also use it to run FS Wizard, a calculator and steam music while I work. How many commercial DRO's can boast that?
While you may battle with a 5.5" touch screen there are cheap Chinese tablets out there which are 10" for under $100 giving you a full 10" touch screen. I am not aware of commercial DROs that even use touch screens yet. You can alter the font and size of the touch dro UI again not something available on commercial models. You can even change the colour of the fonts.
The new version of touch dro now integrates with a tachometer to give you your tooth load.
Another nice feature is the ability to add Axis to the readout without any cost, all commercial DRO readouts you buy in the configuration you require and you are stuck with that. This is nice for the hobbyist who wants to slowly put together a DRO.

I agree with ATUNGUYD, being an open source DRO many others have already made changes, additions, and improvements.
Yuriy has given credit to this fact on his site as well as providing links and/or listing the new code.
While it currently may not match a high end dedicated DRO, it will perform most if not all of the functions for a fraction of the price.
I bought enough scales for a 3 axis on my mill and 2 axis on my lathe. That, and with the cost of the components for the Touch DRO controllers totalled less than $500.
Unfortunately, I didn't investigate enough and went with the iGaging Absoulute DRO scales which, apparently do not work with the Touch DRO system.
There are people currently working on this issue and, hopefully, will resolve it soon.

Processing power is always a good thing. My touch dro on my mill benefits greatly from it. I also use it to run FS Wizard, a calculator and steam music while I work. How many commercial DRO's can boast that?

This is not the point, and has nothing to do about the processing power needed for a DRO function. Yes, eventually they may have touch screens which I use on many other devices, but not necessarily something I like to use with chips/coolant flying and oily fingers poking at the display. You spend $100 on a touch screen, another $100 on scales and maybe $50 on electronics/power supplies, mounts etc. You just spend enough for a 2 axis complete DRO system. There is no right way, there are just shades of grey on what you prefer to do, and have fun in the process. The software may or may not evolve, and then the encoding for the scale may change and you are left in the dark. I built my own computerized tube tester which uses a wireless computer tablet interface, and relies on other individuals to update the software, so I am not opposed to being innovative. I am just pointing out the different options depending on ones abilities and needs.

uTracer.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see any reason why not. Unless they did something like encrypt the data between the scales and display unit it should be possible.

Just lifted this from Yuriy's, not me, looks like someone asked Yuriy about the IGaging Absolute.

"
Anonymous <noreply-comment@blogger.com> Unsubscribe
4:28 PM (18 minutes ago)

Anonymous has left a new comment on the post "Android DRO Step By Step Overview":

Could you pleee confirm if the Igaging Absolute scales which I believe are also remote work with your TouchPd and your Arduino / Bluetooth adapter? I read they will not would you expand on this?
Thanks in advance.

Posted by Anonymous to Yuriy's Toys at August 8, 2015 at 1:04 PM

Yuriy Krushelnytskiy <noreply-comment@blogger.com>
4:29 PM (18 minutes ago)

Yuriy Krushelnytskiy has left a new comment on the post "Android DRO Step By Step Overview":

No, they will not work. The are very different scales, using different protocol, etc.

Posted by Yuriy Krushelnytskiy to Yuriy's Toys at August 8, 2015 at 2:29 PM"

Yes currently they do not work, but when the project started so did Chinese scales and glass scales not work. Doesn't mean they never will.

MKSJ said:
This is not the point, and has nothing to do about the processing power needed for a DRO function. Yes, eventually they may have touch screens which I use on many other devices, but not necessarily something I like to use with chips/coolant flying and oily fingers poking at the display. You spend $100 on a touch screen, another $100 on scales and maybe $50 on electronics/power supplies, mounts etc. You just spend enough for a 2 axis complete DRO system. There is no right way, there are just shades of grey on what you prefer to do, and have fun in the process. The software may or may not evolve, and then the encoding for the scale may change and you are left in the dark. I built my own computerized tube tester which uses a wireless computer tablet interface, and relies on other individuals to update the software, so I am not opposed to being innovative. I am just pointing out the different options depending on ones abilities and needs.

You make a good point as far as price is concerned, but wouldn't the versatility of the Arduino etc. system with a tablet be more versatile. I know that involves tinkering
around, whereas a commercial DRO system is a buy it and it just works type of thing. As you so aptly state, just shades of grey.

This is probably a little off topic, but what the heck are your pictures showing? It looks sort of like an analogue computer of some sort,
except for the solid state parts. A tube checker perhaps? A code breaker? I can't make out the printing on the front panel.

Chuck the grumpy old guy

I agree with much of what atunguyd said regarding versatility, upgrading, etc. In the end, the DRO readout is just a readout. As far as I am concerned, it makes no difference as to whether or not it can send e-mail, make phone calls, or take photos. Its main function is to show me where I am on my machine. I don't have a dedicated readout now but I can correct that issue for $60. I am not sure why there is an objection to a wireless connection but the TouchDRO can be set up to run from a USB connection if hard wiring is preferred.

However, I disagree that the iGaging class scales are as accurate as the glass scales. A scale can be no more accurate than its resolution. A glass scale has a resolution of either 5 microns or 1 micron. The iGaging class scales have a resolution of 10 microns.

With the TouchDRO readout, I set the screen resolution to .0001" but the readout increments in .0004" steps because that is as good as the scale resolution. My Grizzly readout reads to .0001" but increments in .0002" steps because that is its scale resolution. You can not read more accurately than the scale resolution.

Bob

If I needed more features on a DRO for a mill, I would go with a tablet type PC and the computer interface for the scales mentioned previously, or move to CNC. Most of the DROs these days provide a wide range of mill functions, some are easier than others to access. Most people probably use 10% of the functions. On a lathe, you use maybe use 2 or 3 functions, and you do not need anything too fancy.

On the Igaging scales, the new Absolute ones are much slower in their response time (but more reliable in their readings), and the older ones are more prone to errors (noise and accuracy with the longer scales). The question of breaking the Absolute scales output code also involves the type of output and the voltage, but many people are working on solving this. Hopefully magnetic scales will come down in price with time and provide an alternative, the technology is cheap. Eventually I would expect someone to come out with a completely programmable touch screen DRO interface and/or fully programmable keys (similar to oscilloscopes, audio equipment, etc.), which will change based on the machinery and allow download of machining points. My Acu-Rite already has this and the software is upgraded via USB. Though, I am not sure how they will get past the contamination issue on the touch screen. The wireless technology (although VFD/electrical noise is a big problem) for the scales and adaptable interface for the tablets is a great idea, the weak point in my view is the scales at this point. It is affordable and it will evolve into something better.

The tube tester, one needs to set the pin connections to the tube sockets manually and there are a number control functions set manually. The computer information sets all the operating voltages sequentially, and then gives a graphic presentation of how the tube is operating at multiple operating conditions. This is known as plate curves. The control board comes as a kit with PC software, everything else was fabricated. The face is all CNC with engraved lettering, the switch bank was custom built.

Mark

Nicely implemented and laid out chassis. What is your interest in vacuum tubes? Audio or antique stuff. I have many tube-head friends, some into high end audio, and others into antique radio. I'm all solid state these days. My only interest anymore is that building a VT phono preamplifier is still on my to do list, but it's a long list.

Chuck the grumpy old guy

Back