Do You Carry A Multitool?

I've been carrying a Gerber Legend MP800 about 13 years now. I bought it for work but never take it off my belt. I broke 1/2" off the tip of the blade 5 years back and had to make a new spring for the scissors a few years ago. The rubber came off the handles a long time ago. But if I ever loose it, I'll buy another. I got tired of trying to purchase the nylon replacement sheaths made for it and modified a leather knife pouch to replace them.

I've always preferred Gerber tools to Leatherman. Gerber is a very fast-deploying pair of pliers; Leatherman a relatively fast knife, slow pliers. Since I carry a Swiss Army knife in addition, the Gerber fills the bill.

Wore out several Gerber "holsters" over the years - the sharp edges of the pliers sticking out tended to wear through the bottom. Then one day I found a magazine carrier (for one double-stack Glock-type mag). It has *very* strong (impregnated?) stiff cordura sides and a Velcro flap. It's absolutely great!

On the good news/bad news front ... A couple of years ago, I returned a Gerber with a broken blade to the factory (just south of Portland; handy for me as I have a house in Corvallis). Good news - they have a lifetime warranty and replaced it with their latest model for free. Bad news - the new tool has triangular carbide inserts for the wire cutting function. You can rotate to a new side when one gets dull. Only trouble is, carbide shatters much too easily! I don't know what I've been doing wrong, but I've broken two of the inserts. Replacements aren't covered by warranty, and they're not cheap!

If you want to get a Gerber, I'd suggest thinking twice before buying one with carbide inserts. Other than that, I love 'em, and use mine several times a week.

- hman
(John)

i carry the same one John does, and just lost the one I have carried for 20 years and my replacement has the carbide cutters as well. I use it multiple times every day. The pliers work really w ll as does the file and the three different sizes of screwdrivers. I bought the bit set as well and have used it two or three times. I carry a knife as well, so do not use the blade very often. I am working on a kydex and leather sheath design, just need the time to make it.

Yup, I have one for my belt, and another small one I carry in my pocket if I don't have the big one on my belt. Mine are both Leatherman original brand multi tools and have seen a lot of use and a good bit of abuse over the years. I broke the tip off a while back so I reground the blade profile to more of a "Tanto" style because that style is virtually unbreakable and stays sharper longer between visits to the belt sander and honing stones. I start with a 600 grit stone, then 1000, then 3000 and finally 10,000. Once I get it good and sharp at 22.5 degrees it will hold that edge for about 6 months regardless of what I cut, wire, cardboard, rope, twine, cabling, PC boards or whatever else comes along and it does it all with no excess dulling. I love my multi-too, just wish it had a few more items in the handle so it was even more versatile.

Bobber

Truck center console - buck multitool (a favorite)

When flying sar - military issued black Gerber (kept in my helmet bag)

Most useful and most used - simple double blade with saw style victorinox swiss army knife. Have had it for near 20 years. Simple, light, clean and effective. I keep it in my flight suit leg pocket.

Knife- #3 Russell belt knife, issued, hanging from my life/survival vest. Tough little bugger. Been used for everything from hammer to cutting frozen guideline from the hoist hook. They want me to turn it in for a generic bolt knife. They can go to heck, I'm keeping my operationally proven Russell.

:)

Last edited:
I should go in more detail: I keep one with me when I'm at the farm for a quick repair as needed. I keep one in each vehicle in case I have an urgent need. They're great for times when I don't have a tool box handy.

Carried them off and on, both the Super Tool 3000 and the Leatherman Wave. I prefer the Wave, Lighter and easily accessible blades, saw, and file. They are both heavy and honestly just get in the way. I would like to try one of the smaller Leathermans in the future though, like the Juice S2.

I also had a SAK, Wenger something, I can't remember. I loved that thing, blade steel was magical and the tweezers were a huge plus. Sadly I lost it along with my Fenix E05. Those two were a perfect pairing.....but carring the stuff daily you run the risk of loosing them. I;m sure their around here somewhere but I just can't find them.

I'm carrying a Kershaw Blackout at the moment, blade steel could use some work. The Spyderco Endura I used to carry was real nice but I didn't like the lockback and the VG10 blade was just a pain to sharpen with my Arkansas stones. Once I get a job and save up I'd like to get some of those free cutting Norton stones.

Another day another EDC.....

Back