DIY OD Grinder fixture, For the surface grinder- maybe

I’m struggling with a way to deter grinding dust from entering the bore.
I’m leaning toward felt vs. o-rings. I think the felt ring would be an easier option.
If I choose the o-ring, I would cut a groove into the brass allowing for 20% compression.
See why the felt on both ends is the easier solution??
Jeff,
How fancy do you wanna get? An air purged labyrinth oughta keep grit outta there.
Evan
PS I just read f350’s post. Great minds…;)

I built this grinder for my thickness planer blades. The holder slides on linear ball bearings.
That's pretty cool . I always wanted to make up a taper set-up for a lathe with one of the rodless cylinders I have down the basement . I think it could be done quite easily .

For as little as I will end up using mine, I am not sure if dust getting into the bore will be an issue. I can always wipe it out after I use it.
You started me down this road. I’m leaning on simple. I have a lot more to do.
Eh, when it’s done it will sit on my shelf waiting for a project :)

That's pretty cool . I always wanted to make up a taper set-up for a lathe with one of the rodless cylinders I have down the basement . I think it could be done quite easily .
No time like the present…… :)

Jeff,
How fancy do you wanna get? An air purged labyrinth oughta keep grit outta there.
Evan
PS I just read f350’s post. Great minds…;)
I’d like it to work well and produce accurate parts. Having the ability to reduce a part by a few thousandths with a ground finish will be pretty darn cool in a home shop.

No time like the present…… :)
I actually pulled the pecker head off the BP late last night . Still wired 440 . I might rewire it today and hook it up to the VFD this evening . :)

Yea with this fixture it seems like you could disassemble and clean it each time pretty quickly and easily.

For my mag chuck I put two seals on the handle shaft. One is a double-x ring in the bore and then an o-ring on the flange face.

Yea with this fixture it seems like you could disassemble and clean it each time pretty quickly and easily.

For my mag chuck I put two seals on the handle shaft. One is a double-x ring in the bore and then an o-ring on the flange face.
Once I attach the collar for preload, add the pulley and mount a knob or handle it may take a bit to remove the spindle for cleaning.
I’ll need to keep that in mind during the build.
A proper seal would be sweet.

Once I attach the collar for preload, add the pulley and mount a knob or handle it may take a bit to remove the spindle for cleaning.
I’ll need to keep that in mind during the build.
A proper seal would be sweet.
Good point. Do you have enough radial thickness in the bushing to put a thin double-x ring? I used a nominal 3/32" section, which required an 0.090" deep groove for the 0.103" seal. They come in 1/16" section, which would only require a 0.063" deep groove, up to 1.5" ID.

Good point. Do you have enough radial thickness in the bushing to put a thin double-x ring? I used a nominal 3/32" section, which required an 0.090" deep groove for the 0.103" seal. They come in 1/16" section, which would only require a 0.063" deep groove, up to 1.5" ID.
Ah, I’ll have to look that up. I don’t know what a double x ring is.

Yes, I ordered a couple. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back