DIY OD Grinder fixture, For the surface grinder- maybe

I see in the McMaster catalog that the also have a double x o-ring. Have always been a fan of triple XXX myself. Mike

I don’t know why I fight the metric system. It’s so simple.
When a dimension says .5 or 6 x 28 mil. I have no idea what dimension that is.
But, if it’s a hex on a bolt, 7/16 or 12mm etc. is easy to understand as this comes from experience.
Old habits and all.
I started working with the metric system shortly after graduating from college, so I am more used to that than imperial. I find the metric system far easier than imperial for reverse engineering something, the nominal dimensions are almost always a whole mm. The ISO tolerances make figuring out what bearing fits to use, shaft sizes for couplings, etc. very simple.

I started working with the metric system shortly after graduating from college, so I am more used to that than imperial. I find the metric system far easier than imperial for reverse engineering something, the nominal dimensions are almost always a whole mm. The ISO tolerances make figuring out what bearing fits to use, shaft sizes for couplings, etc. very simple.
I noticed even on older machine tools the bearings often are standard metric sizes.
Shocking.

I noticed even on older machine tools the bearings often are standard metric sizes.
Shocking.
I think a lot of that came from the dominance of European companies making ball bearings, and they don't make much in inch sizes. The founders of FAG Bearings developed the rolling machine that made balls a uniform size and roundness and started the widescale manufacturing of ball bearings. Being German, they only made metric sizes. Timken pretty much had the tapered roller bearing market cornered, so if something had tapered rollers, it was likely inch based. Now there is plenty of competition with metric tapered roller bearings, so that seems to be changing to metric sizes as well.

I have a Burke Millrite and it uses inch tapers on the bottom of the spindle, but the upper ball bearings are metric I believe.

Made some progress today. I finished the bore. The spindle is smooth and has no wiggle as before.
I struggled with a way to keep the grit out of the front bushing. I think this will work just fine :)

It's time to start working on mounting the spin indexer and the motor to a plate then figuring out the pulleys etc.

Attachments

• ret 1.jpg
    ret 1.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 12
  • ret 2.jpg
    ret 2.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 12
  • ret 3.jpg
    ret 3.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Made some progress today.
I’m making the pulleys.
The tubes will be shorted to allow for maximum work capacity.
The 1/4” plate sucks up real tight when the magnet is applied.
By George, I think I’m going to pull this off.

Attachments

• 6047466A-5941-46A2-A1E9-C92C455F605A.jpeg
    6047466A-5941-46A2-A1E9-C92C455F605A.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 8759E454-7364-4F78-99AA-53A11FB1A17C.jpeg
    8759E454-7364-4F78-99AA-53A11FB1A17C.jpeg
    317.5 KB · Views: 10
Check out the quality on this jippo production spin indexer.
Thus is a kit, I’m fixing it as I go along but, come on.

Attachments

• 9DEA6D25-D2C6-45EF-A089-96E86F174736.MOV
    7.5 MB
Check out the quality on this jippo production spin indexer.
Thus is a kit, I’m fixing it as I go along but, come on.
Wow. It's hard, right, so you can't just turn it true?

Looking good Jeff. I need to get back to working on mine.

Wow. It's hard, right, so you can't just turn it true?
It’s very manageable with carbide. I cleaned it up.
This piece is pinned then soldered I think.
I could clean up one side then touch up the other and it would move on me.
I cleaned up the side that matters most.

I should add, the spindle and the 5C collet closing tube have been shortened. I used a carbide cut off tool, blue chips

Making progress.

Back