DIY OD Grinder fixture, For the surface grinder- maybe

Here's the McMaster page. I just came across them looking for an o-ring to use. I had heard of x-rings, which are an evolution of o-rings, and these are a further evolution. They seem great.
My dimensions need to be,
ID 1.773
OD 1.976

Do I have wiggle room? Do they stretch?
I think .125” thick would be fine.

I don't think I'd want to stretch it that much, but the bigger issue is that you'd have a tough time getting it assembled; you need the seal in the OD groove, and then push the shaft through, expanding the seal. With your dimensions, finding a seal seems difficult. Maybe the positive-pressure setup is a nice way to do it, accepting that an air line will be a little cumbersome.

I don't think I'd want to stretch it that much, but the bigger issue is that you'd have a tough time getting it assembled; you need the seal in the OD groove, and then push the shaft through, expanding the seal. With your dimensions, finding a seal seems difficult. Maybe the positive-pressure setup is a nice way to do it, accepting that an air line will be a little cumbersome.
You have a good grasp of my situation.
I may play around with felt and a delrin retainer??
I don't know. I may just move on and get back to it later. Much to do yet.

What about a face seal? You can use an o- or c-ring like that. Edit: I see that the spindle doesn’t have much room for that. Maybe just a thin shield on the shoulder of the spindle (large washer) would cover the joint enough.

Felt seems better than nothing but will trap grit and wear the shaft; at least that would be my concern. Though, if behind a shield, I imagine it would basically last a home shop forever without maintenance.

Last edited:
What about a face seal? You can use an o- or c-ring like that. Edit: I see that the spindle doesn’t have much room for that. Maybe just a thin shield on the shoulder of the spindle (large washer) would cover the joint enough.

Felt seems better than nothing but will trap grit and wear the shaft; at least that would be my concern. Though, if behind a shield, I imagine it would basically last a home shop forever without maintenance.
I agree, simple seems the way to go and you nailed it. This will serve me well for many years.

My dimensions need to be,
ID 1.773
OD 1.976

That’s 45mm ID, so it would be easy to find something in a metric size that will fit the shaft. The OD is small for most seals of that shaft size, so you might need to use an o-ring. McMaster doesn’t have the double x rings in metric, but you could get x ring cord stock and make exactly what you need.

That’s 45mm ID, so it would be easy to find something in a metric size that will fit the shaft.

Goodness, seems so obvious now! Thanks for the guidance. This definitely seems like the easy button. I’d use a simple o-ring and not worry about possible benefits from an x-ring.

Goodness, seems so obvious now! Thanks for the guidance. This definitely seems like the easy button. I’d use a simple o-ring and not worry about possible benefits from an x-ring.
I worked for German companies and with metric machines most of my career and got accustomed to seeing oddball imperial dimensions when someone converted a metric part to imperial, so any time I see inch dimensions that don’t fit a fractional size, I automatically check and see if it comes out to a whole number of millimeters.

I worked for German companies and with metric machines most of my career and got accustomed to seeing oddball imperial dimensions when someone converted a metric part to imperial, so any time I see inch dimensions that don’t fit a fractional size, I automatically check and see if it comes out to a whole number of millimeters.
I don’t know why I fight the metric system. It’s so simple.
When a dimension says .5 or 6 x 28 mil. I have no idea what dimension that is.
But, if it’s a hex on a bolt, 7/16 or 12mm etc. is easy to understand as this comes from experience.
Old habits and all.

Back