Ditron vs Sino...wich is better in your opinion

The display only has options to display 4 or 5 decimals. I set it to 4 but I know from experience that I will need to block out or obscure the last digit.

1691679328454.png
The line is just dry erase. I will probably cover the digits with tape. Its a shame you can't select 3 decimals like my other DRO.

Pontiac- I don't see any com port. But maybe internally? There must be one.

what happens when you press the SDM button ?

Gaffer- can you elaborate? I don't understand tool offset? The number keeps changing 198, 196, 197 without me doing anything.How does tool offset work?
Boswell- You nailed it! I changed the radius setting and it switched to X-D
It is for memory locations for various tool positions on a part. It will allow you to quickly return to locations when you have tool changes, etc. This video shows how it's used. Edit: click the Watch on YouTube, and it will play there.

Thanks Gaffer!
When I press the SDM button it displays 199 where ABS/INC are usually displayed. I assume There are 199 locations already programmed? I did not program any? I assume this is useless on my machine since I have a compound? (although I could establish a home location for the compound.)

Ok. So in the manual they call this Auxillary Zero Location but mention SDM in the text. Confusing! My DRO does not work like the video. If I go to a location and enter it as SDM 1, pressing the X0 or Y0 buttons does nothing. I cannot figure out how to set zero at an SDM location. I will play with it some more.

SDM is for mapping point features, which is not one of the three zeros (origin, part, and auxillary) and is not a "ruler" or INCR. To me, it starts getting into manual automation, which isn't my bag. I'm not setting up a production work station, I just want some coordinates to work from, so I only use absolute and incremental zeros and work one step at a time for 99% of the work that I do if I even actually turn the DRO on.

I guess I don't use it because I'm trying to avoid making two errors, one for the fat fingers and one for the work piece when it goes wrong.

The video was helpful. The steps on my display are a little different. You go to a location, set that as SDM"#" and enter it. Then zero both axes. If you then select ABS it will show you your coordinates. If you select SDM, it will show zero if you move to the SDM coordinates. I can see how it would be useful. It essentially allows you to increment and de-increment from an edge. One problem is that is does not survive power off just like the zero does not. The ruler survives but I haven't messed with that yet. They survive as long as you don't move anything!

Bad news.
My DRO stopped working this morning. The display functions normally. The reader heads have green lights on both. The display number will not change with movement. I tried powering off and a factory reset. No effect. I think something in the display failed. I will have to fight it out with customer service unless any one else has a good thought?

Bad news.
My DRO stopped working this morning. The display functions normally. The reader heads have green lights on both. The display number will not change with movement. I tried powering off and a factory reset. No effect. I think something in the display failed. I will have to fight it out with customer service unless any one else has a good thought?
Bummer. Did you buy from Aliexpress or direct from Ditron? I bought direct and all my communications were with:
sales7@dcoee.com
I hope it helps.

I bought from the "Ditron Store" on AliExpress. I hope I don't get screwed on this...

Back