Diesel owners , do we have any on board ?

Dhal22 , that is great to hear ! Im hoping to keep this thing alive myself . The price of trucks is skyrocketing .

61 posts and I'm the only one with a picture? You guys are slipping;)

John

I've owned my OBS 2WD 1997 F250 Heavy Duty since new in 1998. I had the tranny gone through in 2008 because the guys at the shop next to my buddies place were desperate for work and gave me a smokin' deal. Did the oil cooler myself in 2009, that was fun.... Had some injectors replaced in 2015 or so, my fault for not keeping up on oil changes. It currently has about 315k on it and runs as good as the day I bought it.

Back then I subscribed to the Powerstroke Magazine (remember those)? I figured I'd get it to 100k and start doing mods once it was out of warranty. Well, it never once failed to do what I asked of it, towing with a Lance Camper on the back, hauling my fully loaded race trailer, moving to Arizona, then Michigan, then back to California, etc, etc, etc. I figure the engineers probably knew what they were doing so no need to change anything that isn't broken, maybe some day I'll get around to switching over to an electric fuel pump but I'm in no hurry since the original is still working.

Maybe I'm funny but I don't need my pickup to do anything except haul whatever I need to move and it does that great. Before this one I had a 1967 F 250 that I let go because it blew a head gasket and I already had a race car and several project cars. I didn't need my pickup to be a project too at the time or I would have kept it. I figure the '67 lasted 30 years (mostly not with me) so if I can get 30 years out of this one I'll never need to buy another truck. So far so good :grin:

View attachment 342834

John
Cool Camper! Love it!

61 posts and I'm the only one with a picture? You guys are slipping;)

John
What's to show? My 'Dead in the Water' F350 has moss growing on it and under it... :grin big:

Camper was sold this summer, I'll bet you can get some artsy shots of that truck though ;)

John

We had just one 6.0 and a few 6.4 , now the 6.7s , What I saw at work was the big problem they had before I got to that location was lack of maintenance , Ford recommends the oil changes at 10,000 miles or 250 hours ,fuel filters at 500 hours and that lies the problem , as a utility or any use that has high idle times it doesn't take long to hit 250 hours , at work they kept to th 10,000 ( actually were getting them before the number ) but we have trucks that would get 30+ hours a week and during overtime it could easily double that . Once I got there I would write the miles and hours and keep those figures under the hood , the early 6.7s had the same matiniace requirements . Ford was still having issues and the last 6.7 we got have a " CHANGE OIL " light that comes on , the first new truck the light came on around 3,400 miles ,the driver came to me thinking it was a mistake I went through the owners manual and nothing listed on either the miles nor hour just change it when the lights come on . I checked the hours and it was very close to 250 hours so they must use the computer with hours , miles and how it was driven ( idle time ) to turn the light on .

Just thinking if you do your own oil changes , Ford wants the oil filter ( canister on top of the engine next to the secondary fuel filter ) at least loosened enough for the internal drain let the dirty oil go into the pan , , I usually just let it drain a little then just replace it then go and drain the oil from the pan ,

The past couple days I've been out in the driveway doing a oil change and coolant flush on the 6.0 . I found my source of what I thought was smoke coming up thru the dash . When I drained the old " green coolant " , I got a little over a gallon in the pan . Hm...…………..suppose to take 5 gallons or so . :dunno: Filling up for the first flush I had water pouring out of the de gas bottle .

Not driving the truck other than a short jaunt to work maybe once a week , I never even thought about checking the fluid . This thing went to NY twice and this was the only times when this " smoke " appeared then disappeared . Turns out it was steam coming thru the bottle and getting sucked in the cab .

Anyway , the truck now has fresh Rotella and Archoil in the engine , and the Rotella red stuff in coolant system . I'm very fortunate that I didn't smoke the engine as it really never gets up to operating temps other than the property trips ! :bang head:

Here's a great site for learning about your 6.0 , DieselTechRon unfortunately past away in a accident but I picked up a lot for him on the 6.0 & 6.4https://www.youtube.com/user/DieselTechRon

Here's a great site for learning about your 6.0 , DieselTechRon unfortunately past away in a accident but I picked up a lot for him on the 6.0 & 6.4

Thanks cap . Yep , I've checked 'em all out on the tube and also over on the FTE site . That diesel is new to me and I'm soaking up as much as I can . Between the brakes , the oil and coolant flush , I'm into it about $2500 last week . ( I think that's what I had into my last 20 vehicles combined ) :dejected:

Back