Diesel owners , do we have any on board ?

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Maybe a long shot here , but do we have any diesel truck owners on our site ? Interested in 6.0 power strokes mainly but am looking for any information anyone can contribute . Being a noobie as far as diesels , I joined the FTE forum and as to this point I feel like I'm miles behind the majority of their discussions . Looking for a good place to start with the basics . Dave :)

I've go ta 7.3 power stroke, my buddy has a 6.0. The 6.0 is a grenade until you 'bullet proof' it, which costs a pretty penny and requires pulling the heads. In my buddy's case, the two of us did it over evenings over a month.

Cool . The truck I bought already had the work done to it . Studs , deletes , upgraded turbo etc . I'm getting info on the other site regarding coolant as well a oil . Rotella elc and 5-40 synthetic is the way to go . Agree ? I also have the SCT tuner but do not have a monitor as of yet . Is there one that stands out above the rest . Edge ? SCT ? Forscan ? I see you can download systems from the net also , too many choices and I'm a rookie at this game .

Going down the new wabbithole I guess . o_O

Diesel truck long time owner no power strokes. I switched over to Cummings when Ford stopped using the International engine. Ford is a nicer truck than Dodge but the Cummings engine has fewer problems than the power stroke engine. Wish Ford made a truck with a Cummings engine and an Allison transmission. The fire department has a power stroke that goes through turbo chargers I think it's on its fourth one. If you want to change the injector pump on a newer power stroke the body has to be partly removed. I am sure someone will have more experience with the power stroke engine and can contribute .

I have a 03 Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins 1ton bought new , it’s been a good truck, I’ve put 4” turbo back exhaust, cold air intake and a tuner on it . Have friends with ford diesels they like them the only complaints is to change injections the cab has to come off , and injectors run off of high pressure oil, also not as customizable for more power. Ever watch the sled pulls on tv , always dodge’s or Chevy duramax haven't seen a Ford .

Cool . The truck I bought already had the work done to it . Studs , deletes , upgraded turbo etc . I'm getting info on the other site regarding coolant as well a oil . Rotella elc and 5-40 synthetic is the way to go . Agree ?
Did you get paperwork saying so? When my buddy was shopping we found a lot of people advertising they did so, but an inspection proved otherwise.

I like the Rotella for mine, it's quite expensive (4 gallons on the 7.3!), but worth it in my opinion.

I and my mechanic checked it over . Seemed all that was stated from the seller was true . It's time for me to get into the oil changes and fluid changes etc and other maintenance duties . I figure if 'm puliing some things off , I should just replace or clean up a few items while in there .

Sorry , not sure what happened to the script ! :dunno::grin:

Test , ok , alls well once again .

I and my mechanic checked it over . Seemed all that was stated from the seller was true . It's time for me to get into the oil changes and fluid changes etc and other maintenance duties . I figure if 'm puliing some things off , I should just replace or clean up a few items while in there .

Sorry , not sure what happened to the script ! :dunno::grin:
I think mine is the same body style (2001), but my buddy and I both found it beneficial to replace the brake fluid. Someone mentioned to us at one point that there is something about the design of the master cylinder that lets water into the system more readily.

I'm guessing this is what I'm reading about a so called seporator somewhere . Good info . :encourage:

Back