Did Evaporust destroy my NOS 4 jaw chuck?

One hole has almost no threads at all. I didn't take a picture of that one because it almost looks like it's supposed to be that way. Oh well, another project added to the pile.
How important is it to have Acme threads on these screws?
This is a place where Acme threads are called for, lots of pressure.

AFAIK Evaporust is a buffered phosphoric acid. It's action on metal is very slow, but reduces oxides of metal quickly.

Phosphoric acid is common, and old. But it doesn't jive with evaporust's claims of bio-degradeable safe friendly promotes healthy yada yada yada. In searching I kept running into one often quoted series of posts about Chelation. But my eyesight goes blurry, I have trouble breathing and my hand hurts from slapping the desk when I get to the part about contains SYNTHETIC iron molecules.

I did finally come across one white paper on chelation in a non-medical setting.
https://www.dow.com/content/dam/dcc...of-the-chemistry-of-chelation.pdf?iframe=true

EvapoRust doesn't contain phosphoric acid. According to the MSDS sheet, it contains a chelating agent and a detergent. The chalting agent forms a strong chemical bond with iron ions, removing them from solution and promoting dissolution of iron oxide on the work. The detergent is probably functioning as a wetting agent.

EvapoRust doesn't contain phosphoric acid. According to the MSDS sheet, it contains a chelating agent and a detergent. The chalting agent forms a strong chemical bond with iron ions, removing them from solution and promoting dissolution of iron oxide on the work. The detergent is probably functioning as a wetting agent.
The detergent was the main reason that I even did this. The biggest issue was the dried up oil and grime on the chuck. Like I said before, I don't think that this chuck was ever even mounted to a backplate.

It’s my understanding that a part should be degreased or at least generally cleaned of gunk and oil before going in evaporust.

thanks @RJSakowski - I didn't look it up, but the derusters I've used at work mostly seem to contain phosphoric acid, so I assumed... You know what assuming does!

ALl the best!

[edit]
I did a minute of research and found this article on chelating iron oxide that some may find helpful.

Back