Did Evaporust destroy my NOS 4 jaw chuck?

Shootymacshootface

I make little metal out of big metal.
Registered
I got this never used 6" 4 jaw chuck with a SB Heavy 10 from my father in law. It never even had a backplate on it. It had light surface rust and years of dust on it, so I figured that Evaporust would clean it up nicely.
I forgot about it, so it soaked for a few days. I took it out, gave it a hot water rinse and a little Scotch Brite scrub. It came out ok, a little dark though. I didn't notice anything wrong, so I cut an L00 backplate to fit, got it mounted, and when I put the jaws in I noticed this. The threads are falling off on all 4 jaws!
20210428_234345.jpg20210428_234417.jpg

I soaked my heavily rusted vice for several days, fully submerged, in Evaporust. It cleaned up great and I didn't have anything like what your picture shows. I'm not sure what happened to your threads, but I'd be surprised if it was Evaporust. I look forward to hearing from the others and their experiences.

I really doubt that could have been from the evaporust. The only issue I’ve ever had with it is when a part sticks out of the fluid, leaving an air-fluid-metal interface, which leads to etching at the interface.

I've left tools and parts in my evaporust bucket for well over a year and they came out fine. There is no way it could have done that.

When you say the threads are falling off, do you mean you can take a tool and scrape them straight out? How easily?

I can easily knock them off with a screwdriver or a pick. Like picking off a scab. I guess that I could make bigger screws and cut new threads and see what happens to the metal then. This is really wierd.
Its a cheap old chuck, but I did cut a Buck L00 backplate for it.

I agree with all the other replies above. I've not seen any deterioration of base metal after extended (a few weeks) periods submerged in Evaporust.
Darkening yes, deterioration no.
I see it's a Logan branded, Made In USA chuck. It's hard to imagine a manufacturing defect is the cause.
Are the deteriorating threads at only at one jaw adjuster or multiple?

I see the issue I think- those threads are pretty worn. The fit gets loose and they start to jam up and break
I have a small english chuck like that with the same type of mech, not the best design
-Mark

One hole has almost no threads at all. I didn't take a picture of that one because it almost looks like it's supposed to be that way. Oh well, another project added to the pile.
How important is it to have Acme threads on these screws?

Back