Did Evaporust destroy my NOS 4 jaw chuck?

Is the damage in the same orientation on all 4 jaws. As mentioned it is an air, fluid, metal interface that causes etching of the metal. if the damage is all on the same side then it might be that there was air trapped in the threads and caused the damage???

I had the same happen to me . Ruined a tubful of tools soaking in Evaporust for a couple days . :rolleyes:

Really? I've never seen it touch good metal, only rust. I've had a mishap with plain white vinegar with it heavily etching a part, but I've left all sorts in evaporust. Wonder whether it's just doing its job and removing corroded metal or whether there's a specific reaction with another material at play. Interesting!

I too have soaked a lot of different items in evaporust (including cast iron) and can confirm it wont damage good metal. The chuck threads may have been rusted that bad and the rust was “chelated“.

I've switched to ATF for derusting. I add acetone if there I need to to get parts separated.
I had good luck with EvapoRust. Just to expensive.
ATF seems to be at every garage sale.

In the unfortunate event you decide to take this chuck out service, consider retaining it for a shop made RT.
Swap T nuts and hold downs for the jaws. I've got one I'm eventually getting around to for similar repurposing.

Daryl
MN

I believe that's a cast iron chuck. Cast iron is brittle (i'm referring to the broken threads). That's what it looks like to me. I have a chuck with a similar problem.
Evaporust = no way.
my $.02

It could very well have been the EvapoRust. Most likely, the chuck body is cast and the jaws are steel. There is enough of a difference it the electromotive potential to cause electrolytic corrosion in the presence of an electrolyte. Cast iron isw more noble than steel so the steel will be the sacrificial metal when the two metals are in electrical contact and an electrolyte is present. EvapoRust is a weak electrolyte and the potential difference is small so the corrosion rate will be slow but given enough time....

enough of a difference it the electromotive potential to cause electrolytic corrosion in the presence of an electrolyte. Cast iron isw more noble than steel so the steel will be the sacrificial metal when the two metals are in electrical contact and an electrolyte is present. EvapoRust is a weak electrolyte and the potential difference is small so the corrosion rate will be slow but given enough time....
A sincere thank you for the chemistry.
This is something that I and perhaps others lack.

Daryl
MN

The only damage I have seen from EvapoRust was the c shape spring on a set of calipers fell into pieces after an over night soaking. I was told it was from hydrogen embrittlement. I have never had it effect cast iron.

Back