Did Evaporust destroy my NOS 4 jaw chuck?

^^^^^ Same here . A bunch got ruined . I don't like the fact that it turns everything dark either .

^^^^^ Same here . A bunch got ruined . I don't like the fact that it turns everything dark either .
I don't like the darkened finish afterwards either.
The chuck was in perfect condition before it went in the Evaporust. I put it, the jaws, and the screws all in separately. There were no parts in the chuck, it was bare.
After hearing all of the great responses, I am convinced that the Evaporust was the cause. That, a very low grade of cast iron, and an excessive amount of time soaking.

Amazing.....I can understand the caliper spring,as its always under stress,and stress accelerates hydrogen embrittlement......however ,a cast iron chuck body is neither hard steel ,nor under stress.......but it goes back to the old maxim....dont soak stuff in strong chemicals and forget about it.........I recall a young apprentice soaking two Weber DCOE carbies in "Safety Clean solvent bath"......and yelling that the carbies had been stolen.......all the brass bits were still there ,bright and shiny.

I think what RJ was getting at was there could have been small particles of steel embedded in the cast iron threads. Then galvanic corrosion could come into play and the cast iron would lose.
Robert

Yeah calipers will be ruined I put 200 bucks worth of them in Eastwood rust dissolver for 20 minutes the whole thing was ruined even the threads it is literally acid you need a permit to buy more than 5 gallons!

I have had a similar effect once before, but what caused it was extreme rusting, which the evaporust removed as is its job - but then there was nearly nothing left. If there was condensation between the thread and the casting, it might account for the loss of metal mass

Reactions: rwm
Looking more closely atr the first photo, it is the cast iron body that is eroded so I would suspect inpurities in the casting as the culprit. The chuck is ostensibly new and the damage doesn't appear to be typical of what would occur with a mechanical break. If it impurities were oxidized metal, the EvapoRust could have leached them out. If they were dissimilar metals, electrolytic action could be at play.

John: did you look at those threads closely before you put it in the bath? Was there wear that you just didn't notice or are you fairly sure the soaking did it?
-Mark

What is evaporust? What is the chemical process? Anyone know? For years and years we've been blasted with magic rust removal products that don't hurt the base metal. "restore to like new". I've had enough chemistry classes to call BS.

Back