Dangit .

That's great if the new guy has any talent :encourage:

That's great if the new guy has any talent :encourage:

He's a good guy with some talent . Not a machinist , so they'll lose that aspect on nights but it's not really necessary anyways . He's never missed a day , never been late , is friendly and attentive . I recomended hiring him on full time because of this . He'll just have to learn how to deal with the people skills which I think he'll do fine .

That's awesome!!!

If you guys hit it off you can teach him some skills, that'll work. OOOOyeah

The company unfortunately will not let mechanics use the shop equipment . I guess for liability issues . I have to lock out the lathes and mills when I leave for the night .

Facility machinist instructor???:cool 2:

Absolutely NOT ! :grin: We have a fully attended machine shop on daylight . I'm in maintenance but am a machinist , they moved the machines in for me after many discussions . I save them alot of downtime with the small change parts I make in here at night , but the machine shop still does the production stuff . And I hate production . :big grin:

I
if its trash, why do they care if a few pieces end up missing?
i get the liability thing, i get the overlord/serf thing too.
but dang, they could sell the scrap instead of donating it to the local transfer station, who will in-turn remove the said metal and sell it for scrap
i have gotten so many schizophrenic responses from different levels of so called "managment" I've quit trying to worry about the right thing. The same guy will one day say "I don't care take what you want" and the next "I can't just let you have it!" and when I offer to pay him says "just go ahead". Meanwhile they have yards full of equipment rusting away and don't have a clue. Both places I worked as a plant mech I emptied their bone yards and reorganized their lines without buying any new equipment. I am NOT bragging. I know how to manage resources but suck at managing people and any other myriad of things my bosses did and wouldn't want their jobs for love nor $$. But somehow they got intimidated by my junkyard dog ways. Part of my gift if you want to call it is somehow keeping a balance sheet in my head about what is useful and can trash the rest. I see 80/20 as so infinitely useful in so many ways because it's reusable it would have to be mangled to not want to squirrel away good useable chunks especially since you say most of the equipment at your plant is made out of the stuff.

I had a good friend who worked for Lockheed in the 80's on Star Wars and he explained to me whole contract process.......he wasn't a junkyard dog like me at all(a 'puter nerd) and the waste offended him. It made me sick to my stomach. But we don't want to go there......

I'm going to try my best to get this stuff and I think they'll agree to it . Besides all the 80/20 , there's a ton of jig plate , round stock , angle stock etc . For my area , they wouldn't buy any of it , so I go down and hit the shop up . I don't need a lot , but this would keep a hobby shop going for years .

I guess they don't understand you can make a useful tool out of a piece of scrap metal . :dunno: And I can also make a perfectly good piece of metal into scrap . :rolleyes:

Back