Dangit .

if its trash, why do they care if a few pieces end up missing?
i get the liability thing, i get the overlord/serf thing too.
but dang, they could sell the scrap instead of donating it to the local transfer station, who will in-turn remove the said metal and sell it for scrap

My point exactly . They're trying to save money , groan about spending $500 for tooling , yet throw $1000s of dollars worth of usable material to the scrap wolves . On top of that , we're building a new line so they'll have to buy all new material ! :grin: Maybe I'm just a hoarder , but good material is good material .

Years back we had a bunch of trash and metal we had to clean up. Boss told me to get a dumpster and take care of it. I ordered 2 dumpsters, 1 for trash and one for the metal and set to work cleaning up the mess. When it was done I had 1/2 a dumpster for the land fill and a dumpster completely full of metal. My boss showed up and chewed my ass for "wasting money" on 2 dumpsters when I could have fit it all in 1 heaping full dumpster. Said I would have to pay from my own pocket for the second dumpster. I called the company to pick up them up and they did. It ended up that the metal dumpster paid for the other dumpster entirely and left about $600 which I used to throw a party for everyone that worked for me. A couple of months later my boss asked me if I had learned my lesson about "wasting money". Yep, sure did.

Places around here that do fab work sell their scrap to the scrappers. They get that every penny they save makes them more profitable and while it may only bring $40 a ton, that adds up quick. And it also makes them amenable to letting me dig through their bins. I give them $20 and take an armload that is maybe worth $1 as scrap. They don't mind if I take the "best stuff" at all.

It ended up that the metal dumpster paid for the other dumpster entirely and left about $600 which I used to throw a party for everyone that worked for me. A couple of months later my boss asked me if I had learned my lesson about "wasting money". Yep, sure did.

That's the way it used to be , and the way it should be . :encourage: I may take a walk ;)

Isn't there a song about that

Isn't there a song about that
Which one ? Everything is still there . If it's still there next week , I'm going to inquire about it . I always need target material and the boss likes me , so who knows . I'll have to unload the truck of all my scrap aluminum though . ( the kind I love to scrap . :beer bottles::barbershop:

LOL Mike , I just went thru it 2 weeks ago . 2 days ago , I was told I will be training one of our dayshift temps on my shift . He will be employed full time with the company , which will be a huge + for him . I'll soon be starting a new shift which works out better for my family . 12 hours Sun , Mon , Tues and 6 on Wed . Dayshift ! :encourage: I will still fill in all OT shifts but hey , I'll have my weekends back after 2 years of not having them .

Back