D1-4 lugs won't loosen

OK, today's project was to center my Ajust-Tru Buck chuck. I tightened a 3/4" end mill shank in the 3 jaw with enough sticking out to run the indicators on, one plunger, and one DTI. I slacked the front bolts, and adjusted the side socket heads to .0004 TIR, tightened the front socket heads and maintained the TIR. Did I do this right, and should I try for perfect? I have a feeling some of you might. Thanks for following along. Another question, what size is the chuck key?

You could but really not necessary . Dial it in perfect if you have a second operation on your part . :cool:

I had it about here one time, and chased it, I guess it's by finesse that I still have to work on. Changing the tension a little moves it pretty good.

I doubt you'll be trying to hold .0005 TIR in the near future , so don't worry about it . When the need arrives , dial it in perfect to the part . The TIR will not remain the same at different diameters to begin with . That's why we bore soft jaws . ;)

OK, good exercise.....

I doubt you'll be trying to hold .0005 TIR in the near future , so don't worry about it . When the need arrives , dial it in perfect to the part . The TIR will not remain the same at different diameters to begin with . That's why we bore soft jaws . ;)

Mike, listen to Dave. He is dead on the money. For first operations, the chuck will turn true. For second operations, adjust to minimize run out on the part. Because you dial it in for one part does not mean it will run true for every other diameter. Everytime you change parts the run out will change. The advantage you have is that you can dial it out if you need to.

Understood, thank you

I think you guys have to get a couple of web cams setup that point out of your shops, showing us what decent weather is...
Don't need beach, just what going from the house to the shop looks like in paradise. :grin:

I was out the entire day and just got home ... dark now. Was a bright, sunny day today, about 72 degrees with a nice N-NE wind. Not a single snowflake or raindrop in sight. If it makes you feel any better, Dan, we had some rain a few days ago but it just turned everything greener. ;)

Back