D1-4 lugs won't loosen

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a 12x28 PM lathe D1-4 cam locks. I have never removed the chuck before this attempt. I marked the position for reference, and have not been able to budge the locks with the T handle using enough force that it hurt my palms. The T bar for the chuck is not a big one though. How to proceed?

I have a 12x28 PM lathe D1-4 cam locks. I have never removed the chuck before this attempt. I marked the position for reference, and have not been able to budge the locks with the T handle using enough force that it hurt my palms. The T bar for the chuck is not a big one though. How to proceed?
Can we get a picture of how the sockets are currently positioned on the spindle?

After I finally got my 1440 into the shop I had to put a cheater bar on the T-handle to get them to loosen.
And then a dead blow to get the chuck to give up it's grip.
And it probably goes without saying, but don't forget to put a block of wood on the ways.

I'm guessing a cheater bar maybe the ticket.

I use a ratchet and a 10mm drain plug socket for my cam locks. Well I used to, I use a sliding t-handle now instead of the ratchet. The wrench that came with my lathe for the cam locks was useless, was basically just a chuck key.

If your's is 10mm & you don't have a drain plug socket you can just use a 3/8 drive extension. Will be a bit loose but should work fine. Well, I have done that a number of times on my lathe. It shouldn't need that much force to get it loose.

You are turning counter clockwise, correct? Just making sure. :)

20200206_182134.jpg20200206_182225.jpg

A 12" ratchet pulled the table around, but did not budge the lock.

Yes counter :encourage:
Gonna try with a different angle pull

May have to shock it Mike . They should never be that tight .

I'll give that a wack also....

Oh BTW, you don't need to mark the cam lock. It's already marked. When you tighten it, the mark circled in red should fall in between the 2 arrows circled in blue. It doesn't need to be exactly where you made your mark & may not be if the chuck is indexed to a different cam lock pin.

What would help is dab a bit of red paint or whatever color you fancy in that little line circled in red. Makes it much more easier to see.

20200206_183123.jpg

I don't know about giving it a wack. Maybe a few light taps. Just be careful & don't go all King Kong on it, it's the spindle we're talking about here.

As Dave said, it's should never be that tight, well seems like it is now but should never need to be.

Back