D1-4 lugs won't loosen

Will, the one lock did not have a definite punch mark, so I marked them all. A 23" 1/2" breaker bar to 3/8 socket adapter got it loose. I like to sneak up on breaking things......

I couldn't even make out the 'hash' mark in the first photo. Gonna need to grind that a bit deeper and color it like Will says.
Possibly a bit of de-burring is in order once the chuck is off.
Oh BTW, you don't need to mark the cam lock. It's already marked. When you tighten it, the mark circled in red should fall in between the 2 arrows circled in blue. It doesn't need to be exactly where you made your mark & may not be if the chuck is indexed to a different cam lock pin.

What would help is dab a bit of red paint or whatever color you fancy in that little line circled in red. Makes it much more easier to see.

View attachment 312865

Will, the one lock did not have a definite punch mark, so I marked them all. A 23" 1/2" breaker bar to 3/8 socket adapter got it loose. I like to sneak up on breaking things......

I see. Ok, when you make your marks, the proper way to mark them is with the cam lock in the open position (cam lock pins slide out freely) the mark should be pointing up at the line in the 12:00 position. Then when locked, anywhere between the two arrows.

20200206_184729.jpg20200206_184752.jpg

2 of the locks tightened mid way between the arrows, the last one went to the bottom arrow. Do I need to pull it off, and adjust that lock?
Thank you for the pictures Will...

I pulled the chuck, and turned the lock one turn, now the mark is at the top arrow,,,,?

I was just in the process of saying to adjust the stud on the chuck side, not the lock side. As long as the locking cam mark falls between 3 and 6 O'clock, you're okay.

OK that's good. Now the spindal TIR is .0005,, the backing plate is .0035, and the Chuck is off the map, more to do tomorrow.

Have you tried indexing the backing plate? It has three possible mounting positions, right? Mark one, check the run out and then repeat until you've mapped all three. Pick the one with the lowest run out and make a mark across from the indexing mark on your spindle. If there is no indexing mark on your spindle, make one. Every time you mount your chuck, align the marks so your chuck runs with maximum accuracy.

Back