Cromwell S800 Mk3 lathe

Thanks guys. Next job is to make a Gib for the top slide.

Cut a piece of gauge plate for the gib. Made a fixture to hold the plate while I milled the angle. It turned out too thick so milled it down in thickness. Put some blue on to mark the adjustment screw positions and used a bull nose cutter to make the dimples. I will make some new adjustment screws at some point as one is lost anyway. You can still see the engine turning on the side of the top slide.

IMG_2741.JPG IMG_2746.JPG IMG_2749.JPG IMG_2750.JPG IMG_2754.JPG IMG_2756.JPG

Last edited:
The last major part to make is the cross slide drive shaft. This is a 30" long 5/8" diameter shaft with a slot cut in it for most of its length. On my mill the slot needed to be cut in 3 operations.V blocks and clamps allowed for repositioning without losing registration. I need to get the lathe up and running now to machine the shoulder of the shaft to fit into the driver. First I will need to machine the chuck adapter to fit my 4 jaw chuck. So getting the lathe running will be my main focus now.

IMG_2758.JPG IMG_2760.JPG IMG_2764.JPG

Last edited:
Worked on getting the lathe assembled today. No major problems. The worst thing so far is the amount of wear on the cross slide ACME thread and its nut, not a huge problem as backlash is not a big issue there. Cut my first chips on it, modifying the chuck adapter plate for the 4 jaw chuck. The adapter plate is cast iron and somewhat hardened so it is quite hard work. Managed to get the belt slipping so will need to add weight to the motor so I can get more tension on the belt. Still plenty to be done.

IMG_2767.JPG IMG_2770-001.JPG

Last edited:
I've been out of town and concentrating on my 40% Slick 360.
IMG_2775.JPGIMG_2774.JPG

Have taken the spindle out of the head again to set the tapered bearings properly. Will also add weight to the motor mount for more belt tension.

IMG_2777.JPG

IMG_2775.JPG

IMG_2774.JPG

IMG_2777.JPG

Last edited:
Got the 4 jaw chuck fitted to the one chuck backplate I have. I will probably get a precision 3 jaw chuck and make a new backplate for it. Spent some time getting the motor aligned properly so the belt runs true and also getting the apron action nice.

IMG_2778.JPG

Last edited:
Machined the end of the cross slide auto feed shaft to fit in the gearbox. Trial fitted it and all is well.

IMG_2791.JPG

Last edited:
Have started making things on the lathe . However still plenty to do. I need to replace the top slide lead screw and nut. The screw is well worn and there is lots of play in it. Have ordered a 3/8" ACME tap for the nut and will make the thread on the lathe. Have also ordered a set of imperial taper pin reamers to redo all the slider drive handle retaining taper pins.

Worn top slide ACME thread

IMG_2817.JPG

Last edited:
Undercoated the last few parts. The steady's and the back gear mounting arms. The travelling steady is a beautiful bronze casting and I will be using it soon to make a new cross slide ACME thread. Unfortunately ordered a right hand 3/8" ACME tap for the cross slide nut before realising it was a left hand thread. However will probably use it for a Z axis drive on a CNC router.IMG_2834.JPGIMG_2827.JPG

IMG_2827.JPG IMG_2834.JPG

Hi Rod,
Your Cromwell is coming along beautifully. Nice job on the cleanup and paint job.
Michael

Back