Crazy Threads...

What if I switched the 34t at the top of the chain with the suspect 32t behind the 74?

If it can be done, yes that would work. It would correct both inch (w/51T) and metric (w/34T), in one swoop by -1.062 (34/32). Close enough, I think.

Last edited:
Holy, crap! you think so? I have no idea where you guys are getting your resources to do the math, so I have no idea.
There is a big clunky adjustment hub behind that top red gear, I believe, so I will try that tonight when I am done work.
And thanks for the link, Pierre

I thought I posted these already.
I'm not sure what I'd change in the gear train. the only gears capable of changing are the three change gears. all others are not adjustable and likely nothing else would fit
I need to see that to the left of the picture that is cut off in the posted picture. Ken

What if I switched the 34t at the top of the chain with the suspect 32t behind the 74?
If it can be done, yes that would work. It would correct both inch (w/51T) and metric (w/34T), in one swoop by -1.062 (34/32). Close enough, I think.
Holy, crap! you think so?

<Forehead slap!> Duh! Great catch, Shawn! The simple solution was staring us in the face all the time.
If you can swap the 34T and 32T gears that are on the machine now and still get everything in that gear train to mesh, then the thread pitches for metric AND Imperial will be so close to the original 3mm leadscrew, as Mike pointed out, that you won't know the difference. (Unless, of course, you want to make a 10 ft long screw to fit a 10 ft deep threaded hole. But, then you'll need a different lathe anyway. But, I digress. That's a topic for another thread. (no pun intended) ;))

Looking forward to seeing your results with the simple gear swap.

Tom

Ken, can you see what you need from Shawn's video in post 59 on p. 2?
Dumb me, should have looked at the video. There is a slightly different arrangement of the 62T and 51T gears between metric and imperial. Ken

Switching those two gears, tozguy was saying I need a 54t in place of the 51. three tooth difference. switching the 34 & 32 is only a two tooth difference, is that enough....?

And yes, I'm rushing through my work to get home to try this... I'm a carpenter/contractor. this drywall mud has never been slapped on the wall so fast!!

Switching those two gears, tozguy was saying I need a 54t in place of the 51. three tooth difference. switching the 34 & 32 is only a two tooth difference, is that enough....?

And yes, I'm rushing through my work to get home to try this... I'm a carpenter/contractor. this drywall mud has never been slapped on the wall so fast!!
The 54T gear that Toz suggested earlier would have been to correct the 8 TPI lead screw rotation for Imperial threads only. The 32T gear behind the 74T gear has already corrected it for metric threads. Due to the relationships among the gears, swapping the 32T and the 34T that are now on the lathe will not change the current metric ratio but it will correct the Imperial ratio.
None of this will make the thread dial work as is, but it will allow you to do both metric and Imperial threads if the half nuts remain closed throughout the threading procedure.

Now get that mud slung and go home!

Tom

IM GOING!!
mud slung!

...but I gotta go pick the wife and kid up and go home, and deal with them likely before I can escape. but it's go time!

I'll make a dial gear out of plastic. I'll wing it somehow,

Back