Crazy Threads...

i was going to take a video so you could share my discovery, but the wife went out and left the kid. was hard enough to run the lathe with youngin in arm.

i ran a 10 tpi and a 1.0mm. just scribed the surface not the full thread. but the tips of the thread gauge fit right in......... sigghhhhhh...

What? You can never start showing them how to do this too soon...you'll find they love working the controls...

He did seem to enjoy it. I'm sure his mother would not approve.

I have a metric lead screw hence no thread dial. I always have to back out and back up. Half-nut stays engaged till I'm done. My threads are crappy if I try to use the compound method, so I just go straight in with the cross-feed and pretty threads. Not sure why the 29.5 deg. thing does not work for me but until I have to thread something hard I won't worry about it.

I watched this thread from the beginning. Even offered up a post to help out. This has been quite a journey and the result was exceptional. Another classic example why this is the best machinist forum on the net. People coming together to help out a fellow machinist make his machine more useful. What more can you ask for.

Tom S.

I have a metric lead screw hence no thread dial. I always have to back out and back up. Half-nut stays engaged till I'm done. My threads are crappy if I try to use the compound method, so I just go straight in with the cross-feed and pretty threads. Not sure why the 29.5 deg. thing does not work for me but until I have to thread something hard I won't worry about it.
When you get ready, get with us, we will help you all we can. Sometimes too much!

I will start a new thread for you for figuring out the gear size for your thread dial.
Ken

Back