Craftsman Commercial Lathe?

Car's loaded with "rigging" gear. The sky is grey but it's not raining at the moment. Would prefer to do the move in dry weather, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

Wish me luck!

Best of luck, but also best of care and safety. No machine is worth losing a limb (or worse over). Even though this isn't an especially heavy machine it's still enough to win an unanticipated battle. Never lift it without everyone having a clear exit path in mind at every step.

Congratulations!

A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

Last edited:
A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

Beautiful! Very happy for you, and glad you were able to move it without disassembling it, so you can start making chips that much sooner.

I have a Logan 850 (same size, originally a turret but someone replaced it with a tailstock, and no QCGB). They really are good machines.

That is one nice lathe,well done sir.What's your plans,use as is or go through it?

That is one nice lathe,well done sir.What's your plans,use as is or go through it?
Kroll,
Thanks. First on the agenda (after returning from vacation) is to get some wheels mounted onto the bench legs, and a 2x4 onto the tail end like the headstock end so the bench doesn't slope toward the tail ;-) That will allow me to get it off the dollies and yet still have some mobility since I'm not sure where its permanent home will be.

After that I think I'll pull it apart and get rid of the rust and grime, but probably won't paint it before reassembly and lube. I need to pick up some oilers and figure out lubrication. I have a manual on order so that will help.

Not sure what my first project will be--probably just pick up some aluminum and make big pieces into small pieces initially. I thought one of the Eagle 66 oilers could be a good first project, as would that machinist's puzzle with the nut captured by the unthreaded ends.

Any suggestions for good starter projects are welcome!

Evan

I usually encourage new guys to make stuff that will be used all the time in the shop, things you can't buy.
  • Tool height setting gauge made for your specific lathe's centerline.
  • A good grinder table so you can grind tools properly.
  • Tailstock die holder until you learn to cut threads
  • A ball turning device so you can make your own levers, or a graver tool rest if you like doing it free hand.
  • A really good parting tool holder
  • Mount for a quick change tool post, whatever it takes.
  • A solid carriage stop if you cannot buy one.
  • A mount for a dial indicator so you can center stuff in the 4 jaw chuck
  • A good scissors knurler
  • ETC.
Many other things to make. As you make these things, you learn many other lathe operations besides just turning and facing. Of course, you can make machinist's jacks that you'll use maybe once every two years or so or a hammer or whatever but making tools that have frequent use is better, I think.

Back