Craftsman Commercial Lathe?

The large cylinder looks like a spindle for a tool post grinder. The long straight one might be a homemade boring bar, and the one with two diameters looks like a mandrel.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ropes and pully is a good friend for unoading. Just make sure you have it around something to hold and not your hands. I have done many things that way. Congrats on the purchase.

Well, the obvious question is what do you have to bring it home in?

I brought home an SB 9 in the back of my Ford Explorer. I took off the tail stock. I removed the rear support for the lead screw then cranked the saddle off. I then reattached the rear support. Since the drive belt was a flat leather belt with a pin. I removed it. I unbolted the lathe feet from the stand. I then unbolted the counter shaft and motor. The heaviest component was then the bed and head stock. Two of us were able to move it.

Of course I don't know how your counter shaft is connected.
TubalCain to the rescue!

It's good to have options, and this video makes disassembly of the lathe very straight forward.

The Logan will work out fine for you, you'll have a lot of fun with it. I was hoping you would get that Famot machine, way harder to move and power up - but lots of authority. Were you able to check it out? Were there any show stoppers with it? Regards, David

David,
I looked at the Famot, but only in passing. It is quite a machine, and I suspect in pretty good condition, but I didn't get around to talking to the previous owner before I found the Logan.

Evan

A word of advice. remove as much as possible from the lathe and bench. Lathes are top heavy. protect your screws from straps, bring 2x4's and a hand saw to cut filler blocks. I would not want to pull a lathe up a ramp to a 3-4 foot height. You can't securely push it, it's heavy, above you. See if you can rent a trailer.. and pickup.. easier. Good luck.. I think the logan is a better machine than the craftsman.

Find one of these trailers if you can:

Coincidentally that video just came out today. :)

A word of advice. remove as much as possible from the lathe and bench. Lathes are top heavy. protect your screws from straps, bring 2x4's and a hand saw to cut filler blocks. I would not want to pull a lathe up a ramp to a 3-4 foot height. You can't securely push it, it's heavy, above you. See if you can rent a trailer.. and pickup.. easier. Good luck.. I think the logan is a better machine than the craftsman.
The pick up location is on a fairly steep driveway, so getting the lathe onto the truck will be a pretty gradual slope, maybe 1' over 12'. Getting the lathe off the truck, however, will be ~3' over 12'. Still looking for a liftgate truck.

Find one of these trailers if you can:

Coincidentally that video just came out today. :)
Looks very cool. Unfortunately I don't have a hitch, but that could be easy to fix.

Looks very cool. Unfortunately I don't have a hitch, but that could be easy to fix.
Move (rigging) update. I made arrangements with a local handyman to use his truck and low-bed trailer with ramp (and a friend). It's not as schnortzy as the hydraulic lift trailer, but the lathe isn't as heavy as a Bridgeport, either. I'd rather not disassemble the lathe and move it, as I don't want to risk losing any pieces in transport.

A trip to Harbor Freight yesterday at lunch yielded a furniture dolly, come along, rope, tarp, towels and rags, and tie downs.

After watching the Tubalcain video on disassembling the Logan and adding up his weight estimates, I'm thinking the lathe probably weighs about 350 - 400 lbs, with most of the weight in the motor and ways at about 150 lbs each, so pulling the motor and pulley off will lower the center of gravity and significantly lighten the lathe if necessary.

The plan is to get one end of the table up onto the furniture dolly, then lift/slide the other legs using them as brakes for going down the ramp onto the trailer. If it's too heavy to do that, I'll either pull the motor and try again, or use a set of casters for the back legs.

It seems like it should be manageable with 4 of us (including the seller), and with the low trailer getting it unloaded with 3 of us seems feasible as well.

Last edited:
Back