Craftsman Commercial Lathe?

Thanks for all the input! I looked at the Logan first, and was pretty sure it's what I wanted--well-tooled, kept well-oiled, no rust, was fully operational before the owner's health declined about 10 years ago, so it's a bit like a time capsule. I was the first to look at it and the seller agreed to hold it for me until I looked at the Craftsman.

The Craftsman did have a broken gear--reverse. It was in a much more abandoned state, but still a good deal for the asking price. I passed, however, as I really didn't want that much of a project.

I called the seller of the Logan and told him I'd take it for his asking price. He also has some other tools from his dad that he's going to dig up for me to buy if I want when I pick up the lathe next weekend.

Woohoo I got a lathe!

Congratulations!

In keeping with the tradition here at HM, we totally expect pictures and a follow up when you get her home!

That won't be a problem. Here's a pic I snapped yesterday.
IMG_1297[1].JPG

Now I just need to decide whether to keep the massive (if clunky) home-build bench or disassemble the lathe to get it home. I thought disassembly would make the most sense as I don't really want the bench, but I do like the idea of keeping everything assembled and in working order until I get a chance to go through it and clean it up. Any suggestions on how to get it home when I don't have a truck or engine hoist would be greatly appreciated.

I just ordered the manual. Most accessories are pretty obvious, but there are a few that I don't recognize. Any idea what the cylinders/shafts are is on the right?
00E0E_bGJn11gfcxN_1200x900.jpg

What about the gadget on the left above the wrench--looks like it might hold a boring bar or something?
00w0w_ltDUsnUki2S_1200x900.jpg
Thanks,
Evan

00101_dzSUGneZ3ur_1200x900.jpg

Also, not shown in any of the photos is a precision keyless chuck that comes with the lathe. I'm stoked!

Well, the obvious question is what do you have to bring it home in?

I brought home an SB 9 in the back of my Ford Explorer. I took off the tail stock. I removed the rear support for the lead screw then cranked the saddle off. I then reattached the rear support. Since the drive belt was a flat leather belt with a pin. I removed it. I unbolted the lathe feet from the stand. I then unbolted the counter shaft and motor. The heaviest component was then the bed and head stock. Two of us were able to move it.

Of course I don't know how your counter shaft is connected.

Well, the obvious question is what do you have to bring it home in?

I brought home an SB 9 in the back of my Ford Explorer. I took off the tail stock. I removed the rear support for the lead screw then cranked the saddle off. I then reattached the rear support. Since the drive belt was a flat leather belt with a pin. I removed it. I unbolted the legs from the stand. I then unbolted the counter shaft and motor. The heaviest component was then the bed and head stock. Two of us were able to move it.

Of course I don't know how your counter shaft is connected.
It's my understanding (though I confess I don't recall where I got it) that these lathes of this class were designed that way so they could be transported in the wagon-class vehicles that the salesmen often drove. The bench is another matter.

I don't have a truck, but I have an Audi A7, and while the lathe will probably fit broken down, I'm not crazy about the idea nor confident I can keep the oily bits off the interior. I'm going to ask to see if the seller would be interested in making a few bucks to deliver the lathe and bench, as that would be the easiest. If that doesn't work, then I'll either borrow or rent a truck, ramp, and dollies.

Last edited:
That round thing above the wrench looks like a boring bar holder to me. It would replace the tool post on the compound.

I'm not sure what those bars are for.

Again, congrats, AC! It looks like a fine lathe. Now you have to agonize over whether to do a clean up or a full resto - decisions, decisions.

Welcome to hobby machining - it will enrich your life while making you poorer, all at the same time!

Rent a truck with liftgate ate Lowes? Rent an engine hoist too. That lathe deserves a nice comfy safe trip to get it to a good home. I drool just looking at the photo's. Congrats on a purchase well made.

Roy

Rent a truck with liftgate ate Lowes? Rent an engine hoist too. That lathe deserves a nice comfy safe trip to get it to a good home. I drool just looking at the photo's. Congrats on a purchase well made.

Roy
Lowes no longer rents lift gate-trucks (in this area anyway). I've reserved a small U-Haul with a ramp and two furniture dollies. I can take my floor jack to get it up onto the dollies if necessary. The seller has a fairly steep driveway, so loading the lathe on the truck will be pretty easy. Getting it offloaded at my shop, however, will be quite a bit more difficult, but I think with 1-2 neighbors and a rope/strap I'll be able to ease it down the ramp. I'm estimating the lathe/bench combination to weigh 800 to 1000 lbs, so not trivial, but not a grand piano, either.

Back