Craftsman Commercial Lathe?

ACHiPo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've made an appointment to look at a 12 x 36 Craftsman Commercial (Atlas) lathe tomorrow. I've watched TubalCain's videos on what to look for, so I feel like I'm reasonably prepared, but thought I'd ask this forum for additional guidance on what to look for in the lathe and tooling. I'm attaching the photos I have (or will as soon as I can get Photobucket to cooperate). The most concerning is one with a Zamac gear on the ways, suggesting there is or was a broken gear, so I'll definitely crawl through the gearbox carefully.

The seller is asking $1200 which seems fair in this region assuming no gear damage.

IMG_1292.JPG
IMG_1290.JPG

IMG_1291.JPG

20170210_154806_resized.jpg

20170210_154832_resized.jpg

20170210_154854_resized.jpg

20170210_155015_resized.jpg

I see you have a face plate 3 and 4 jaw chucks, lantern tool post, milling attachment, and steady rest among other things. I'd ask if there were any additional tool holders for the lantern post as I see only one. I'd say it looks like it comes with enough to get you started.

I can't really comment on the prices in your area. I did check out craigslist in your area and saw this. I might check the Logan out before I committed to buy:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/5998535571.html

I think that is a pretty good deal at $1200. Milling attachment is $400-500 on ebay, QCGB is about $400, steady rest $200 or so, 4-jaw chuck $150-200.

I see you have a face plate 3 and 4 jaw chucks, lantern tool post, milling attachment, and steady rest among other things. I'd ask if there were any additional tool holders for the lantern post as I see only one. I'd say it looks like it comes with enough to get you started.

I can't really comment on the prices in your area. I did check out craigslist in your area and saw this. I might check the Logan out before I committed to buy:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/5998535571.html
Thanks. I made arrangements to look at this lathe before I look at the Craftsman. The Logan has V-ways, not sure if they're hardened? I'm assuming that it is quite a bit smaller if it is really "8x16"

Correction: just found the 816 model--it is a 10" swing
QC Gearbox
Distance between centers: 31"
Bed length: 50
Spindle nose: 1-1/2"-8 x #3 M.T.
Spindle bore: 25/32
Std Tailstock
Flat Belt Bench
Weight: 475

Last edited:
I'd prefer the Logan, all else equal. But, tooling and condition may not be equal.

I think the serial number on the Logans ends in an H if they are hardened. Something like that. You can look it up, I think it's in the FAQs at lathe.com.

In theory the v- ways are better but plenty of good work has been done on Atlas flat ways. I am partial to Logan because it's what I have and because that's my son's name, but one with a steady rest and a milling attachment for only $1200 (incredible deal for my area, I don't know about yours) would have me running not walking to buy it if I were in the market. Don't worry about more lantern tool holders as they're frustrating to use anyway. Again, plenty of good work has been done with them, but there's a reason they've been entirely replaced.

BTW, keep in mind that, worst case scenario, non-hardened ways can be re-scraped. Hardened ways cannot. In most cases, at least as far as I've seen, this category of lathe usually hasn't had enough use to wear out the ways. Such examples certainly exist, but they are the exception.

Edit: I hadn't actually looked at the Logan before. It has a steady rest as well. How important is the milling attachment to you? Personally, even though I have a "small" round column mill, there are times I would love to have that on my lathe since the lathe has some indexing ability built-in (by counting bull gear teeth, for instance), so the combination can do some things that require a bit more equipment to do on the mill. But that's a rare use case, so I don't think I would make it the main reason for deciding, but it is a consideration.

Really it seems to me that you're in a very fortunate position to have two strong options available at the same time and at comparable prices. That's a problem to have. :)

The logan is pretty well tooled - looks like a 3 and 4 jaw, faceplate, steady rest, follow rest, drill chuck. It also has V-ways and QCGB. Logan still has some parts support, which is valuable. Just looking at the holes in the QCGB, it looks like the lathe has not seen a lot of use. I would take a very good look at this lathe.

I have that lathe minus the cabinet which I paid 800 few yrs ago,but its a good lathe.Just have to take small cuts,I don't see nothing on these lathe what makes them worthy of being called "Commerical"but it sounds good.Yours is a good package deal,well worth the 1200.If it does need a part which can be found on auction site and some parts are new at a fair price unlike Clausing but that's another story.Good luck and post some pics when you bring it home----kroll

As far as I can tell, Craftsman put "commercial" on the version of a tool with one outstanding feature, like my 6" jointer which has a slightly longer bed than their standard model.

The Atlas/Craftsman 12" is a 12" lathe by courtesy only. While you can do decent work on it, it's about as rigid as a wet noodle.

Given the choice between it and a Logan, I would grab the Logan, no questions asked. The Logans have much better construction and Logan still makes parts for them.

Back