Coop's 9" SB Workshop Lathe

[QU OTE=Vladymere;238404]Coop,

I think that South Bend headstocks are scraped in to the beds to which they are attached. Switching headstocks could induce a misalignment between the headstock and ways. A test bar could determine this and appropriate corrections made to the headstock/bed mating.

Keeping the original headstock with the original bed would be simpler though.

Vlad[/QUOTE]

Vlad, you make excellent points, and luckily for me, the good head is mated to the bed I am using, as is the saddle, compound and gear box... The odd pieces I'm using from out of the sacrificial machine are the tail stock and drive unit and some miscellaneous bits... I feel quite lucky...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Woodtickgreg asked "If the headstock is high you could just shim the tail stock?"

I have not done this but my understanding is that yes it can. You would scrape in the bottom of the tailstock to fit the ways as there will be wear on the bottom of the tailstock. You would then shim in between the tailstock base and the tailstock, I.E.-the intersection on the tailstock that allows for set over.

I have read that some lathe companies make the tailstock a couple thousandths (.002") high to accomodate for wear over time.

Vlad

The ekectrolysis tank is way slick and the paint job looks just like new. Since the ways were probably flame hardened your in the home stretch, All you need to do really is give the head ubit a little love like the gearbox your home free. The I would sell the parts remaining on Ebay or Craig's List. That should generate some cash for the DRO and help buy some better quality tooling. Great work and keep the pics coming!!!

Bob

The ekectrolysis tank is way slick and the paint job looks just like new. Since the ways were probably flame hardened your in the home stretch, All you need to do really is give the head ubit a little love like the gearbox your home free. The I would sell the parts remaining on Ebay or Craig's List. That should generate some cash for the DRO and help buy some better quality tooling. Great work and keep the pics coming!!!

Bob

Thanks Bob! I am leaning towards eBay for all the left overs, but I think I will offer them up here first.

im hoping to get some work in on the headstock this weekend, so more pics are definitely on the agenda!

Back