Coop's 9" SB Workshop Lathe

nice work, she seems to be looking good so far!!!:thumbsup:

the top headstock looks scored for sure!!!,
the lower is a cast iron bearing surface that looks like it's in pretty good shape

Thanks. So far I've taken the best from both and everything is functioning perfectly. Smooth as silk!

The spindle from the top headstock is scored also. The bottom one is perfect, though the chuck is rusted onto it. I do have two other spindles, bit I'm going to try to get the chuck off and try to save it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice work. I bought that name plate from that guy on ebay 35 bucks - worth every penny Its just perfect, and the drive rivits came right out (sharp plyers)
sam

the plate comes with a protective flim, I left it

Nice work Coop, I do like a good rebuild thread...thanks for the interesting updates.

Bernard

Continued work on the gearbox today. Let it all sit in the electrolysis tank overnight and put three coats of paint on the paintable parts...

Took apart the tail stock and put that in the tank...

You are doing a very nice job. What do you mean "sit in the electrolysis tank overnight"......this might be a silly question.....it takes the rust out?...how big is the tank?

Coop,

I think that South Bend headstocks are scraped in to the beds to which they are attached. Switching headstocks could induce a misalignment between the headstock and ways. A test bar could determine this and appropriate corrections made to the headstock/bed mating.

Keeping the original headstock with the original bed would be simpler though.

Vlad

Nice work. I bought that name plate from that guy on ebay 35 bucks - worth every penny Its just perfect, and the drive rivits came right out (sharp plyers)
sam

the plate comes with a protective flim, I left it

, yep, that's the same plate I'm looking at. I think it will really set things off...

You are doing a very nice job. What do you mean "sit in the electrolysis tank overnight"......this might be a silly question.....it takes the rust out?...how big is the tank?

Electrolysis is the grand art of using electricity to remove rust. I'm using a large tub, it's got about 30 gallons of water in it.... some rebar and a battery charger. If you google electrolysis rust removal you will find a treasure trove of info...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413832140.685976.jpg
It works great!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413832140.685976.jpg

Back