Coop's 9" SB Workshop Lathe

CoopVA

Active User
Registered
I aquired this lathe from a friend a few years ago for $700. I'm finally in a position to get it up and running and to learn how to properly use it.

From the Serial Number Card I learned that it was manufactured in July of 1941 and sold to Apex Engineering in Chicago. Apex manufactured sextants and other instrument for the Navy.

I recently had another friend (who knows much more than I do about these things...) check it out. He told me that the lathe is in very good shape and appears to have very little wear. Everything is tight. He also said that he believes the ways are flame hardened. The thrust bearing at the spindle was improperly installed, so he fixed that. We fired it up and he gave it an operational check and gave it his blessing and told me to go ahead and use it.

I have all new felts, we replaced the ones at the spindle, and I am going to replace all the rest also.

I would like to completely restore it at some point after I become more familiar with using it.

I will post more pictures later.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Scored this steady rest for my lathe. I'm going to take it to Sherwin Williams and see if they can color match it...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice find! I see some good things in this pic.

attachment.php?attachmentid=69123&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1391329186.jpg

You store the belt in a loosened state.

The chuck key isn't in the chuck!

Do you have a 4 jaw chuck?

Not too many guys get an old steady rest in the original box!

Has it ever been used?

attachment.php?attachmentid=69288&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1391561875.jpg

Nice find! I see some good things in this pic.

You store the belt in a loosened state.

The chuck key isn't in the chuck!

Do you have a 4 jaw chuck?

Not too many guys get an old steady rest in the original box!

Has it ever been used?

Thanks! Do not have a 4 Jaw yet. It is on my list of things to get. I do have the Milling Attachment.

It it looks like it has never been used. It almost seems as if it still has cosmoline on it. I am going to clean it up and get it color matched. I can't believe I got this on EBay...

I wonder if the instructions with the center rest might be helpful for others. What do you think about scanning it and uploading it?

I wonder if the instructions with the center rest might be helpful for others. What do you think about scanning it and uploading it?

Can do! I will do it when I get home from work today.

Going in late due to ice on the mountain, so here is the parts list from the steady rest.

The date on this is 9-1-53. Check out those prices!

Attachments

• SB Steady Rest Parts List 1953.PDF
    3.4 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:
The Serial Number Card for this lathe:

Attachments

• 113959 SN Card.pdf
    553.1 KB · Views: 52
Great find on that rest! And in the box! Wowee!
What a sweet lathe.
Thank you for the rest's parts list. A bit modern for my lathe (1911) but nice just the same!
D C

Great find on that rest! And in the box! Wowee!
What a sweet lathe.
Thank you for the rest's parts list. A bit modern for my lathe (1911) but nice just the same!
D C

Thanks. I was real pleased to see the condition of it all when I pulled it out of the box!

You're welcome!

Back