Community Build Project Ideas.

What should the first Community Build Project be.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To clarify, I was not excluding people that want to participate. In fact, there are enough voting that it is very possible to have 2 different builds going; one for an engine, one for the pantograph. I'd be interested in seeing another build.

Here's a couple of video links on the topic of simple steam engines. The first shows one running. The second, by the dreaded Tubalcain, is a good explanation of the valving in this type. Especially interesting since it features a double-acting wobbler.

Sounds like a diesel in the engine room of a ship.
[video=youtube;oP1mIfxdjUQ] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP1mIfxdjUQ [/video]

[video=youtube;WllXB1GioHI] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WllXB1GioHI [/video]

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
No. Drawings are on hold until someone makes a call. I'm ready to finish them if anyone wants to do a build, but apparently there is still indecision. I have better things to do than redraw plans that won't get used.

Quite frankly, I'm a bit ****** off, as you might have guessed. This isn't some damn opinion poll. It is suppoed to be for those actually in the team build.

I'm afraid I'm not in the team build, so have no opinion to express on which way to go, but to alienate all other members from possibly contributing comments helpful to the decision makers seems counter to the culture we are developing here on this forum. I frankly care about which one only as far as maybe offering advice or suggestions on how to go about the build, or answering questions, whatever the project. I sincerely hope the comments made against those who are not directly involved in actually making these components aren't intended to be a rude way to exclude the rest of our members.

Although only a handful of us are going to be building this thing, whatever it is, everyone should feel a part of the support organization and offer what help they can. Being rude could stem the help. Maybe someone wants to buy a chunk of material and have it shipped to a builder.....but after being told to butt out, it would be easy to see them change their mind.

So, please keep this civil, and give no reason for anyone to feel pushed out of all participation.

How about I get to tell you what to build next? I won't help build, but I will be sure to read your posts and comment on it. Oh, and you have to draw up plans for all of us to use as well.

See my point? This is not meant to be an attack, but this thread was supposed to be to determine what the TEAM is building. A vote, so all those participating get a voice.

I'm in the middle of a build myself (Poppin), and taking time from that to do this was my way of supporting the ones that need the confidence of a successful engine to keep them going. A way of getting them actually cutting metal, to show that they can do this, it just takes some time and a little prodding. I know I needed it when I was just starting.

I could be wrong but people outside of the build may be voting just to see the results, you can't see the results until you vote. Some people also may have not realised the poll is only for the people participating in the build.

I think someone else has already suggested it but the best thing to do is have all those involved in the build post what they want to build in a reply to this thread and Turbo or someone else involved can tally up the votes that way. The other option may be for all those involved to PM Turbo to confirm their involvement and cast their vote for what they want to build. :)

I can understand your frustration rleete but I'm sure all the participants appreciate your work. ;D

For the record I haven't voted in the poll. ;0

Last edited:
rleete, you are correct in that you feel that only the builders get to vote on what the project ends up being. My point is that being harsh in the approach of dealing with people who may or may not be voting is counterproductive.

The very nature of a community build suggests that it involves the community to at least the extent that comments are going to be made that may influence the voters who are the actual builders. Nobody is telling anyone what to build. The comments from those who have perhaps already built one of the optional projects can be very valuable, so why do you want to stifle them?

As far as I know (which isn't very far in this case) is that only the builders are voting. Perhaps if that is not the case, the non-build voters should identify themselves so their votes may be discounted.

I also agree, knowing a bit of design and drafting, that you are offering a very valuable service to this project. It's possible that you jumped the gun just a bit, because it still doesn't seem to be a settled issue, but who knows? The project may well turn out to be the one you are re-working, or it may be the one to do next.

I am only asking that you be understanding of all the variables involved here, and try to be patient while this is working out. After all, this is a first attempt by this group to do this. It's no small endeavor, with many, many details to be resolved, and many, many rocks hidden in the water.

Oh, and for the record, I have not, nor will I vote.

Jose, that is one sweet application. I ran through a 16 mm, double-acting engine just for the fun of it. Thanks.

On the topic of selecting a project, maybe we should, as suggested, do the voting by PM. The same email that casts a vote confirms involvement. If someone wants to join the build after selection, but before hard construction starts, a post would be enough. Once parts have been allocated to participants (in the build, that is), the team would then be closed.

During the build, comments, questions and suggestions from all forum members would be welcome. It's a good way for someone to ask how a procedure is performed after someone says he has done it. (Sometimes we take it for granted that the how is obvious - drilling, for example.)

Just my rant. Comments?

Mike

Last edited:
author=hq308 link=topic=3498.msg26252#msg26252 date=1316297590
I could be wrong but people outside of the build may be voting just to see the results, you can't see the results until you vote. Some people also may have not realised the poll is only for the people participating in the build.

Hey guys, I have to apologize. I voted not fully reading the thread and understand what exactly a community build was. For some reason I ASSUMED that everyone would be working on the same project at home......together as a group. :-[

I'm way to new here to be voting on stuff.....and again, I apologize for interfering. Discount one vote for the steam engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back