Community Build Project Ideas.

What should the first Community Build Project be.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How many do we have confirmed?
It's a tie, wonder which way it'll go? (I'll lay claim to the first ball rolling vote yesterday)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I don't think I will vote, cause I've already built SOSE, as I posted on another thread.

José

Voting was a bit premature, if you ask me. SOSE is metric, and I don't think we want to add that to the mix on top of everything else.

I am somewhat confused on what we are doing here. So we pick either the pantograph or the engine. What then happens? Do we each build one, or do individuals build a specific part? So what happens with the completed project after the build.

Maybe I missed the most important posts, but will someone fill me in on what this Community Build is and what its intentions are.

Randy

I misunderstood the concept and will have to bail.

You don't want my parts....I am really new at this game..

And besides I think I am going to have each of my boys build with me and we will build 4 of our own...

author=turbinedoctor link=topic=3498.msg25886#msg25886 date=1316046561
rleete, you mentioned in http://hobby-machinist.com/index.php?topic=3525.10 that you could convert to inch if needed, if we decide on this project, it would be great if you would do that for us.

I'm working on it. I'm not only converting to english units, but slightly resizing to use standard stock sizes. So, for instance, the axle is now 1/4 inch. But, it is going to take some time. I'm about halfway done with the solid models after about 2 hours; drawings will take a little longer. I have to make sure everything fits, and the drawings have to be clear enough so that parts made by different people actually go together. Also, I have discovered a bunch of missing dimensions. All threads will be standard: 2-56, 40-40 and 6-32. Anyone who doesn't have the taps should be given a part with no holes.

sic semper tyrannis, there is no need to bail. Simple parts (like the axle) only require you to cut a piece of drill rod - available anywhere - to length and break the edges on both ends. It's a good exercise in hitting the numbers, and shouldn't pose difficulty for even the most inexperienced. Then, you mail all but one of the parts (taped to a piece of cardboard) in a first class envelope. You get to say you helped build the engine, and gain some experience for next time.

rleete, If you want a hand, or to half the work load of the design phase, I'm more than willing to help.
I'm gathering from the CAD thread you're modelling on S/works?
Anyway, just give a shout if you've had enough..

Jason

One other thing. All the parts are being drawn as shown in the original plans, with as little deviation as possible. But, some of them (the flywheel comes to mind) are rather plain. I'd really like to see some personal touches added, as long as they won't affect the fits or operation.

Anyone making stuff that would like to add some minor flourishes should probably ask if they aren't certain, but this engine is quite plain as made, and there are lots of possibilities to dress it up a bit. Personally, I intend to do some further machining on some of the parts just to add visual appeal.

4R8, thanks for the offer. I have most of the modeling done now (hope my boss doesn't find out!), and now it's just drawing work.

Everything is being done in SW 2011.

No problems, just throwing it out there. Currently using 08 and trying to convince the boss to upgrade to '11.
I know yours is a fresh install but have you found any bugs or glitches yet? (sorry for the OT question)

Back