Community Build Project Ideas.

What should the first Community Build Project be.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pjf134

Active User
Registered
I have a idea that the group can kick around. A adjustable w/lock portable grinder stand with maybe a protractor mounted on top that would give angles or degrees. Some more thought would have to go into it such as grinder height, attachment to grinder ect. I have a crazy one, what about a power hack saw powered by a lathe chuck, don't laugh I have seen one. Just a couple of ideas to kick around since no one else had one yet to get the ball roiling.
Paul

So are the confirmed all from the states (bar myself)?

Are we leaning towards a production line so everyone has the finished product or one project to be donated/auctioned?
If multiple pieces of the same part are to be made- For international shipping it would be easier/cheaper to send over the pond to a central location and then be distributed from there rather than freight costs on each part. If i'm making sense.....

I think once we come to a decision along these lines of one assembly in total or one each, it will help with the brainstorming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok TurbineDoctor
Beings your new at machining, I suggest we build something small and relativity easy, Model engines could be a real challenge for you, beings your new to machining, a simple tool or jig, fixture, etc would be something to consider, But maybe you want to build something thats a real challenge, Lets make an inline 6 cylinder steam engine, we could run it on compressed air instead of steam

Howdy builders,

I haven't signed up. But I might if the project includes some area that I can contribute to. I have worked with electronics and high energy systems most of my life (medical x-ray machines). If the project has some element of electronics, I can contribute.

I would like to offer some ideas, even if I don't join up with you guys. If you keep the finished product small enough to ship internationally, you could use the end product of the project to either auction to all members here to help finance the forum or, give the end product away to one of the project members by drawing straws.

In order to have a product that would appeal to the members in an auction it should have a valuable function. I was thinking that maybe a small EDM machine would fit the bill. What do you guys think?

http://modelenginenews.org/meng/edm/index.html#links

Those of you that haven't signed up: Why not? The more the merrier. No experience needed, just jump in. THIS IS NOT A COMPETITION! It is cooperative, meaning if you get stuck, we all help. No one is here to judge you.

As to suggestions. I'd advise against a Stirling. They tend to be fussy, needing absolutely no binding, and very close tolerances. They have almost zero torque, so friction has to be kept as low as possible. Difficult to keep things that tight when different people are making the parts.

Air powered engines (like Elmer's) are much more forgiving. If it won't run, often times you can crank up the air pressure, and get it to go, and then run it in. Visit http://www.john-tom.com/html/ElmersEngines.html and take a look. There are dozens of choices.

I second, third, or fourth ;) the idea of some kind of tool that would be useful. I am a new fan of cut knurlers but I can roll with whatever is agreed upon (rotary tables, sine plates, etc.)

-Ron

OK
So a rotary table with a cross slide? Sounds good, Lets build it, I'm ready, Anybody have a complete set of drawings? This tool will have to be drawn up in cad and post the drawings so everyone can choose to make the piece or pieces they are capable of making within there means, The the next question comes to mind, who finally assembles these parts and pieces and does the final fitting? who will make the worm and gear, will the gear be made onto the table or will it be doweled and bolted on? What diameter will the table be 6"-8" ? There are a ton of questions to be answered before we start. I use cad but i'm probably not as good as an engineer would be, might take me 10 times longer, So everyone should think about what there capabilities are and post what you could make without having to go out and buy alot of expensive tooling, I could make the complete cross slide in my shop, that could then be bolted to the table with a center pin that some one else makes. well thats a start, come on everyone lets get the ball rolling

No skills to offer toward a rotary table. But I am willing to donate US$20 toward offsetting the costs of materials and shipping. When you guys are ready, post a link to a paypal account.

I have one more idea for you guys to consider. Before going directly to the rotary table, consider making a small, easily made, universally useful tool first. The following link is to a page on one of my favorite web sites. Scroll down to the edge finder. Simple, cheap, small (lower shipping costs). Everyone could make four or five, keep one, send the rest to one person to sell to forum members to help finance the "big" project.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/stevor/millingtools1.htm

I'm with sdewolfe.

As much as a Rotary table would be a great project, I think something small on the first build would be the better option.
After the first is completed, we would have sorted out the bugs in communication, logistics, planning and execution of such a challenge.
Once we know how and what needs to be done to make this a smooth journey, then a larger, more challenging product could be attempted.
The edge finder is a good idea but possibly too simple?(coming from a parts vs builders point of view) maybe I've just contradicted myself, maybe not. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I think everyone should have a rotary table. I have three that I made myself. The last one took a couple of months of shop time and will do most of what I need. Since my shop time is limited, I really don't have the heart to start working on another one (or parts for several other ones).

Even though I'm currently designing a slightly different clamp-type knurling tool, the cut knurling tool may be a good project. Does anyone have a source for good cutting wheels in bulk? Heat treating may be beyond the scope of this project, so making the cutters may not be practical at this stage.

Last edited:
Back