Community Build Project Ideas.

What should the first Community Build Project be.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tony (and others), I apoligise if I came across as trying to exclude anyone. Certainly in a group build, any and all can participate. I fully expect that everyone who does make parts shows (or at least posts) on how they did it, as even the simple tasks may not be clear to those just starting out.

Something like the axle is, apparently just a plain shaft. However, how does the new guy figure out how to make them all the same length, especially if he doesn't have any collets (I don't) with a backstop. Making one isn't a big deal, but making half a dozen is a different thing.

I'm just a grouchy old guy, so take my indignation with a grain of salt. And a beer or two.

DaveH -

I'm glad you got a laugh out of it. ;D I belong to a couple of forums pertaining to my "other" hobbies, some folks take things way too serious. I just noticed after I voted (like a knucklehead) that I shouldn't have.

I'm gonna take a few minutes and read through the ENTIRE post and see if I can get the gist of what is going. So far I understand that a group of members are gonna meet up and build a project together.

As far as me joining a build group, that would be pointless to the others involved. I am a complete amateur and have no idea what I'm doing. I've owned a lathe for 2 months and am still trying to learn all the terminology and such.

author=lwburnham link=topic=3498.msg26282#msg26282 date=1316305882
As far as me joining a build group, that would be pointless to the others involved. I am a complete amateur and have no idea what I'm doing. I've owned a lathe for 2 months and am still trying to learn all the terminology and such.

Don't let that stop you, I've had lathes for 20+ years and I am still trying to learn!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, where's turbine?
We need to find out who is confirmed. it'd be interesting to see how many are legitimate votes, especially considering the limited input from those who are going to be physically involved.

author=DaveH link=topic=3498.msg26284#msg26284 date=1316306797
Lanny,

Join the group, ideal for you, you will learn so much from the other group members and believe it or not they will also learn from you.

The fact you think you are a complete beginer should not stop you joining :)

The bit that really made me laugh was at the end, where you said - "Discount one vote for the steam engine" ## ## ##
I'm still laughing :)
;0
DaveH

I'll keep a close eye on the project as I do have great interest, but will seriously refrain from joining, especially when I'm still learning basic turning and facing operations. Thank you for the encouragement though.

As for the vote "dis-count" @#@#@#, someone had suggested those not a part of the group own up to the vote. Glad you liked my wording.....hehe. ;D

author=DaveH link=topic=3498.msg26296#msg26296 date=1316309107
Lanny,

The group can have another vote - no big deal :)

Or decide some other way.

;0
DaveH

I got some straws we can draw,,,,who's first? :)

I was going to suggest arm wrestling, but I already know I'd lose at that and there is no way I'd win a "beauty" contest,,,,,maybe we could roll dice.

I think we have enough people to build both as two groups, maybe start over with the poll and word it clearly to see who will be doing each is needed for commitment then build both if you have enough to do that. Maybe a private message to Turbo is needed so he can list which people is doing what project. This is a first for the group so the bugs have to be worked out, the first time is always the toughest so hang in there it will get done. Any questions and ideas should be welcomed after the build is decided, maybe someone has some good ideas, as some people have built it before. I do think if someone posts drawings of the build someone will build it on there own, so the work required to make the drawings will not go to waste. Just my 2 cents worth.
Paul

Maybe 2 separate temp. threads is needed to get it together and see who joins in, if that is possible with the software, then no confusion of combining projects to see which one gets built, since there is interest for both. Just a thought.
Paul

DaveH,
I am trying to offer my opinion's to get it rolling, if we talk about it too much people will loose interest I think.
Paul

Back