Coffee In My Sugar: A Scissor Knurler / Lathe Question

I'll be using the lathe for prototypes / small runs of 6061 BMX pegs 31mm-37mm give or take. Obviously, I'd like to buy the "forever lathe" now. However, for budgetary reasons, I'd rather save money and/or hunt for a used large lathe (New PM or Vintage American).

Basically, I just want the bare minimum tool to get the job done so I can take more time on the major purchase. That being said, investing in good tooling from the start seems like a sound investment (knowing I'll be upgrading the lathe down the line).

Thanks, that helps. Not sure what your budgetary constraints are right now but just knowing the size of the stock you're working with and the size of the knurling tool you want to use, I would look at a PM1340GT or something similar right off the bat. When you consider what it costs to buy a lathe, ship it, install it, tool it up ... knowing you plan to upgrade later ... it makes more sense to me to just bite the bullet instead of doing it twice.

Thanks, that helps. Not sure what your budgetary constraints are right now but just knowing the size of the stock you're working with and the size of the knurling tool you want to use, I would look at a PM1340GT or something similar right off the bat. When you consider what it costs to buy a lathe, ship it, install it, tool it up ... knowing you plan to upgrade later ... it makes more sense to me to just bite the bullet instead of doing it twice.
Right, the cost of the lathe itself is actually only a small amount of the investment. The tooling and accessories end up adding up over years. I would hate to spend a few years building up everything for a small lathe, then deciding I need a bigger one and basically end up having to give away all your tooling to the new buyer. Thats why you end up finding used lathes for sale with a bunch of tooling :)

I probably wouldn't start with less than a ~10" x24" lathe, anything smaller you end up outgrowing so quickly that it ends up being wasted money. On top of that, 10" lathes actually have resale value, but a 7" one is basically valueless on the used market (since the cheap ones are $500).

I've got a genuine Eagle Rock and a Shars clone. I haven't noticed a difference in knurl quality between the two in aluminum or stainless steel. I'd go with the Shars for 1/4th the price.

Bruce

I've got a genuine Eagle Rock and a Shars clone. I haven't noticed a difference in knurl quality between the two in aluminum or stainless steel. I'd go with the Shars for 1/4th the price.

Bruce
Is this the tool you're referring to:
404-9294main_1_1.jpg

I couldn't find a Shars Scissor Knurling Tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The PM1340GT is the lathe I'd like to purchase should I go the new route. I'm still hawking CL for vintage American deals... haven't had much luck in a month or so's time. When looking at the PM1340GT, I start getting light headed seeing all the 2 stage setups and modifications, etc. I also need to invest in a proper compressed air setup. The dollars keep adding up when I start really pricing biting the bullet.

This is basically what's got me here trying to back off and go the cheap route and live with it for a year - 2 years... get my feet wet, learn, etc.

If I had $7K-10K to spend, this wouldn't be a discussion.

I'm still not seeing a scissor style knurling tool. Are we talking about the clamp style? If so, it's a 3/8 shank tool... which opens up the options if I'm not mistaken.

I'm still not seeing a scissor style knurling tool. Are we talking about the clamp style? If so, it's a 3/8 shank tool... which opens up the options if I'm not mistaken.

In my noob-ness I see the one from Shars and a scissor type as the same as compared to a bump style.
But that could be a false equivalency.

The PM1340GT is the lathe I'd like to purchase should I go the new route. I'm still hawking CL for vintage American deals... haven't had much luck in a month or so's time. When looking at the PM1340GT, I start getting light headed seeing all the 2 stage setups and modifications, etc. I also need to invest in a proper compressed air setup. The dollars keep adding up when I start really pricing biting the bullet.

This is basically what's got me here trying to back off and go the cheap route and live with it for a year - 2 years... get my feet wet, learn, etc.

If I had $7K-10K to spend, this wouldn't be a discussion.

Totally understand the cost issues. The reason I suggested the PM1340 is because it is ideal for what you have in mind. The spindle bore will take your 37mm stock easily and it is a Taiwanese lathe with a good build. It has all the features a good engine lathe has but in a smaller package and at a steal of a cost for what it is. Another option is the 1236T; it is also worth a look.

Believe it or not, I'm actually looking at this from a cost standpoint. If I was going to do prototype work or small production work then I would want to start off with a lathe that can do that kind of work. It will NOT pay to buy a small hobby class lathe and then trade up to a 1340; it will cost you more to do it that way. I would also opt for a new lathe that will work right out of the gate instead of having to deal with wear and functionality issues.

You should also understand that fully tooling up a lathe will cost you nearly as much money as the lathe does, if not more. This is less of a concern if you can recover those costs by selling what the lathe produces so if your marketing survey looks good and you think you can make a go of it then buying a lathe like this might just be the best bet for you.

Perhaps you might discuss this with some of your family members who would invest some money in your dreams. If my son came to me with this idea, I would buy the lathe for him and tell him to go for it. Something to think about, maybe?

Good luck to you with this.

Hi Dad... :cool: (sorry, couldn't resist...)
Totally understand the cost issues. The reason I suggested the PM1340 is because it is ideal for what you have in mind. The spindle bore will take your 37mm stock easily and it is a Taiwanese lathe with a good build. It has all the features a good engine lathe has but in a smaller package and at a steal of a cost for what it is. Another option is the 1236T; it is also worth a look.

Believe it or not, I'm actually looking at this from a cost standpoint. If I was going to do prototype work or small production work then I would want to start off with a lathe that can do that kind of work. It will NOT pay to buy a small hobby class lathe and then trade up to a 1340; it will cost you more to do it that way. I would also opt for a new lathe that will work right out of the gate instead of having to deal with wear and functionality issues.

You should also understand that fully tooling up a lathe will cost you nearly as much money as the lathe does, if not more. This is less of a concern if you're can recover those costs by selling what the lathe produces so if your marketing survey looks good and you think you can make a go of it then buying a lathe like this might just be the best bet for you.

Perhaps you might discuss this with some of your family members who would invest some money in your dreams. If my son came to me with this idea, I would buy the lathe for him and tell him to go for it. Something to think about, maybe?

Good luck to you with this.

Back