CO2/Argon 5%, 10%, 15% ?? When? Why?

To add just a bit to what General Zod said, 75/25 (argon/Co2) is very common for short-circuit MIG, but if you want to get into spray transfer MIG, you need a higher percentage of argon. Here in the States that usually means 90/10, 95/5 or 98/2. Not all welders have enough power to get into spray transfer mode, so it may not even be an option for you.

Using a MIG welder with a spool gun or push/pull gun for aluminum requires 100% argon.

Using a MIG welder for stainless steel requires one of several blends....helium/argon/Co2, argon/O2 or argon/Co2.

TIG requires 100% argon, or an argon/helium blend.

To add just a bit to what General Zod said, 75/25 (argon/Co2) is very common for short-circuit MIG, but if you want to get into spray transfer MIG, you need a higher percentage of argon. Here in the States that usually means 90/10, 95/5 or 98/2. Not all welders have enough power to get into spray transfer mode, so it may not even be an option for you.

Using a MIG welder with a spool gun or push/pull gun for aluminum requires 100% argon.

Using a MIG welder for stainless steel requires one of several blends....helium/argon/Co2, argon/O2 or argon/Co2.

TIG requires 100% argon, or an argon/helium blend.
You guys are just great! A beginner could go for quite a long time without discovering stuff like this. Thank you all!

You guys are just great! A beginner could go for quite a long time without discovering stuff like this. Thank you all!
Graham,
I am new here but one thing I would caution you on: check your regulator. My new Hobart welder came with a regulator labeled for Ar/CO2 ONLY. I thankfully had a straight CO2 regulator from the other welder, but I was surprised that it wasn't capable of doing both for whatever reason. If you have an old one, then you are like me: ALL SET!
I am glad to see this info as I ran out of CO2 last night. I have a brand new bottle in the barn but was going to swap the empty and now have a decision to make as to what to get for my new spare.

Corey

Graham,
I am new here but one thing I would caution you on: check your regulator. My new Hobart welder came with a regulator labeled for Ar/CO2 ONLY. I thankfully had a straight CO2 regulator from the other welder, but I was surprised that it wasn't capable of doing both for whatever reason. If you have an old one, then you are like me: ALL SET!
I am glad to see this info as I ran out of CO2 last night. I have a brand new bottle in the barn but was going to swap the empty and now have a decision to make as to what to get for my new spare.

Corey
More often than not, the flow meters that don't show Co2 are marked that way because they have less mass, and are more prone to freezing with 100% Co2. There isn't much difference in flow rate between Co2 and 75/25 when you look at dual scales, so that's not really a problem...you'd be off by a bit from what the gauge reads, but still close enough it shouldn't matter.

Co2 runs a bit hotter, but leaves more spatter compared to 75/25. For smaller machines or someone trying to really save money Co2 can be a good choice. My LWS is cheap...a 330 bottle swap of 75/25 only costs me like $65, and my machine has more power than I can imagine ever needing, so I stick to that rather than clean up spatter.

I always assumed that CO2 is used (in any amount) purely for cost reasons.

Yes, pure CO2 is only for cost reasons. All the others weld better. But, getting a paintball tank refilled.is pretty easy...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Well, I continue to learn. Praxair says the reasons the costs are low is because CO2 is 800psi while the Ar/CO2 25% tank has to pass static pressure test @3700 PSI and is filled at 2200 PSI. So product exchange for CO2 to ArCO2 is $150 because the bottle cost is so much higher while the CO2 is $28 exchanged. Something new for me!

so does that mean that you get approx 3 x as many cubic ft of Ar/CO2 (2200psi) as you would pure CO2 (800psi) that would seem to mitigate the price difference somewhat

I believe CO2 is a liquid in the cylinder so you get plenty of volume without the increased pressure.

That’s why pure co2 is sold by weight not volume

I always assumed that CO2 is used (in any amount) purely for cost reasons.
I would not say that is completely accurate. Try short circuit MIG welding with 100% argon, and then with C25. Then cut-polish-etch the samples to see the differences.

Back