Cnc hardinge dv-59?

Braeden P

Registered
Registered
i just got a dv 59 and i would like to make it cnc did anyone do this before? what software? what size motors? ect i have a good computer that i use for a router there is not a lot of space to put the motors so i would have to have direct drive

Why not get a bit of manual lathe experience before CNC?

While a CNC mill is capable of making shapes that a manual cannot easily do, the same is not true of a lathe. You can make most shapes (except complex organic curves) with the compound, taper attachment, and form tools without sacrificing the basic functionality of the machine.

Once a machine is CNC, it is significantly less useful as a manual machine. I started in CNC when I was 16, converted both my mills. 10 years later I find myself really wanting some manual machines.

If you need to make hundreds of the exact same part, or have super complex geometry, then CNC is a good idea. After 5 years of lathe ownership, I still have no interest in making it CNC.

With all that being said, if that is really what you want to do, I have done 8-9 CNC conversions and can definitely help you pick out hardware. It is expensive though, even if you try to do it cheaply.

Why not get a bit of manual lathe experience before CNC?

While a CNC mill is capable of making shapes that a manual cannot easily do, the same is not true of a lathe. You can make most shapes (except complex organic curves) with the compound, taper attachment, and form tools without sacrificing the basic functionality of the machine.

Once a machine is CNC, it is significantly less useful as a manual machine. I started in CNC when I was 16, converted both my mills. 10 years later I find myself really wanting some manual machines.

If you need to make hundreds of the exact same part, or have super complex geometry, then CNC is a good idea. After 5 years of lathe ownership, I still have no interest in making it CNC.

With all that being said, if that is really what you want to do, I have done 8-9 CNC conversions and can definitely help you pick out hardware. It is expensive though, even if you try to do it cheaply.
i would like to keep the parts and dials on it and have the handle on the back of the motor so that it is manual/cnc in one but if i make it closed loop there would be no need for the dials because it would be like manual with a dro

If you use stepper motors, the detents in the motor will make using it manually pretty annoying. They will prevent you from making fine adjustments to the handwheels. Also forget about that idea entirely if you will put ballscrews on it. The ballscrews will backdrive and move while you are cutting. Using a jog pendant on a CNC works fine (that is what I do on my mill), but you have no feel for the cut. Totally doable, but just not my preference.

If you use stepper motors, the detents in the motor will make using it manually pretty annoying. They will prevent you from making fine adjustments to the handwheels. Also forget about that idea entirely if you will put ballscrews on it. The ballscrews will backdrive and move while you are cutting. Using a jog pendant on a CNC works fine (that is what I do on my mill), but you have no feel for the cut. Totally doable, but just not my preference.
i am using the screws that it has this is not made to do heavy cuts so there will be very little wear and it will be used for making parts that would be a pain

I guess my only point is, make sure you actually want CNC before you dump money and time into it, only to find you have a worse machine for manual work than when you started.

It's funny I just watched a video of a CNC lathe conversion and as I was watching I thought "I don't get the point of this. It's not built for production and it's no longer usable as a manual machine".
Braden, if you really want a CNC lathe I recommend get a different machine and not convert the Hardinge.

I guess my only point is, make sure you actually want CNC before you dump money and time into it, only to find you have a worse machine for manual work than when you started.
the lathe is beat up about 2 tenths runout the top slide has scoring it needs rebuilding but 2 tenth is not bad but for the lathe it is its bad

the lathe is beat up about 2 tenths runout the top slide has scoring it needs rebuilding but 2 tenth is not bad but for the lathe it is its bad
2 tenths runout, for most of us here, is excellent. Machine will make great parts.

the lathe was made for production in my case it is from 1941 so its an old one but i will wait until i get another lathe because the dv 59 doesn't have a lead screw and is 9 by 15 but weighs 1550 lbs so its heavy but when i get a lathe with a lead screw this one will be my lathe to prototype with and make parts.

Back