Chatter so bad it looks like knurl

Try putting some work in a collet, and use a center to support it. If the bearings are loose, this might solve your problem as the center will load your spindle and preload the front bearing. It won't preload the rear spindle so it will not be perfect but it should hint it's a bearing preload issue. Good luck!

I did try it with the collet set up you suggested..... SAME

I also set it up on centers, driving with a dog....​SAME

Only class 3? Look up ABEC 7 or 9 grade :biggrin:

$850 might be a good investment if there are no other machines locally. It's useless unless the problem can be fixed.....

Indicate your spindle flex, my best guess is you need to tighten your bearings. In the manual for my plain bearing lathe, SB says to lift on the spindle 75 pounds and that is your runout reading, so don't be afraid to really put some force onto it. Not sure how to adjust bearings on a 101, but I'm sure the info is out there.

http://users.frii.com/katana/618.html

When we re-assembled the spindle, we did put a good bit ( not really measured, but I trust my friends sense of feel) of pre load to the brgs. I think that thats how we got .0035 out of the spindle runout

The first clue is when you took the lathe apart and reassembled. I suspect that either something is missing or something got between things and making the headstock or maybe the compound rock when it is under load. Set the base of your dial indicator on the bed. Put some round stock in the chuck and turn it by hand. See what the dial indicator will do at these three places. The head stock, the spindle, and the compound. If the indicator moves excessively at one of these places, then you should be close to where the problem is. To be honest, I have never done this. However, I do hope that it may help. Good luck. Mark :thinking:

Logical troubleshooting!
makes sense to me
will do

I used to own a 10" atlas and had timken headstock bearings, i ran mine cold with .0005 clearance which is a little tight they should be about .001. The bearings are not that bad if you look around i got new out of calf. for around $250

Single phase motor,sitting on CONCRETE ? Try isolating the feet from the concrete floor. Even with pieces of white pine shelving under each foot.

I don't know what the lathe was formerly sitting on,but I had a huge problem when I first got my 1986 Grizzly 16" lathe. It sounded like small parts going down a metal chute,and absolutely knurled anything I tried to cut. Grizzly was about to send me another headstock. But,when I was leveling it up,I was driving thin wedges of oak under the feet. Suddenly the problem totally ceased. I don't know for certain if the lathe just didn't like concrete,or if something under the legs somewhere just wasn't touching. Well,it doesn't have legs. It has a welded 1/4" thick base.

Now it sits upon Mason rubber feet. Runs just fine still.

I know many more lathes sit on concrete than any other type flooring. But,that was my experience. After all,my lathe is not a Monarch. At least my HLVH sits fine ion concrete. Bt,it has 3 feet for support,so it can't have a loose foot vibrating any where.

Single phase motor,sitting on CONCRETE ? Try isolating the feet from the concrete floor. Even with pieces of white pine shelving under each foot.

I don't know what the lathe was formerly sitting on,but I had a huge problem when I first got my 1986 Grizzly 16" lathe. It sounded like small parts going down a metal chute,and absolutely knurled anything I tried to cut. Grizzly was about to send me another headstock. But,when I was leveling it up,I was driving thin wedges of oak under the feet. Suddenly the problem totally ceased. I don't know for certain if the lathe just didn't like concrete,or if something under the legs somewhere just wasn't touching. Well,it doesn't have legs. It has a welded 1/4" thick base.

Now it sits upon Mason rubber feet. Runs just fine still.

I know many more lathes sit on concrete than any other type flooring. But,that was my experience. After all,my lathe is not a Monarch. At least my HLVH sits fine ion concrete. Bt,it has 3 feet for support,so it can't have a loose foot vibrating any where.

WoW thats really something
Thanks for the suggestion , as I am running outof ideas.

I probably won't get out to the shop til Friday, I will for sure update ASAP
ed

Interesting, I wouldn't think that a lathe on concrete would be worse than on rubber.

Just a suggestion, check the belt is turned the right direction. You said it was a HF link twist, it seems to me the link twist are rotation directional.

Jake Parker

Just a suggestion, check the belt is turned the right direction. You said it was a HF link twist, it seems to me the link twist are rotation directional.

Jake Parker

I don t remember any directional info on the packageing sleeve when I inst. it.
I may be wrong though.
I have a new link belt in the package, & I will check
Anyone know if the link belt is directional?

ed

My lathe sitting on rubber lined Mason feet is smooth as can be. The rubber is not soft,mind you. Each pad is rated to support 500#. So,it is quite firm. These type pads are commonly used on all kinds of machine tools.

I think the initial problem was possibly caused by some part of my lathe cabinet being very close to the concrete and buzzing against it. I can't be 100% sure,but the oak wedges cured it like magic. Concrete floors are never perfectly flat. Far from it.

We'll wait from the OP and see if my suggestion works. A lathe like an Atlas is a very great deal lighter in construction than my 16" 2000#(?) lathe. It is likely even more subject to something setting up a vibration.

P.S.: The single phase motor does not help either. It gives one impulse to the shaft instead of 3 like a 3 phase does,and never is as smooth.

I forgot to add that initially,I completely isolated my 1 phase motor from ANY contact with the motor mount. I used rubber "doughnuts" I got from the auto parts store. They were used in some way on the exhaust pipes or muffler of Volkswagens. I put one on the top and one on the underside of each foot of the motor,and made sure the motor bolt did not touch the cast iron motor mount anywhere. It did no good at all,but I'm sure they made the motor a LITTLE smoother,at least. My lathe runs nearly silent now.

Back