Chatter so bad it looks like knurl

A pic of your setup and the parts might help us help you.

I would definitely check the head to bed bolts again. Maybe you forgot a washer and the bolt thread is bottoming out before it can snug up. Just throwing stuff at the wall, maybe something will stick...lol

I would definitely check the head to bed bolts again. Maybe you forgot a washer and the bolt thread is bottoming out before it can snug up. Just throwing stuff at the wall, maybe something will stick...lol

Yea. Thinking the same thing.
when I moved during the summer, just wanted to get my tools into the new shop. Maybe something was missed. Hope I find it, I feel like I checked most everything else

While you are messing with the head mounting bolts, you might just want to take the time to remove the headstock from the bed and make sure that there aren't any chips, dimples, dings, or other high spots in between the two. If you find anything that looks suspicious, you might want to stone it very lightly to see if it is a high spot or not. If you find any, they'll have to be addressed before you remount the headstock.

While you are messing with the head mounting bolts, you might just want to take the time to remove the headstock from the bed and make sure that there aren't any chips, dimples, dings, or other high spots in between the two. If you find anything that looks suspicious, you might want to stone it very lightly to see if it is a high spot or not. If you find any, they'll have to be addressed before you remount the headstock.
Agreed...Excellent advice!

The first clue is when you took the lathe apart and reassembled. I suspect that either something is missing or something got between things and making the headstock or maybe the compound rock when it is under load. Set the base of your dial indicator on the bed. Put some round stock in the chuck and turn it by hand. See what the dial indicator will do at these three places. The head stock, the spindle, and the compound. If the indicator moves excessively at one of these places, then you should be close to where the problem is. To be honest, I have never done this. However, I do hope that it may help. Good luck. Mark :thinking:

Spindle bearing $$$$
Class 3 Industrial bearings

14276B $189. bearing
14125A $138. race
16284B $242. race
16150 $269. bearing
Total $838. from local supplyer

Bearings was more$$ $1314.44

Don t think that I will be changing brgs.
I paid $500. for the Lathe

Only class 3? Look up ABEC 7 or 9 grade :biggrin:

$850 might be a good investment if there are no other machines locally. It's useless unless the problem can be fixed.....

Indicate your spindle flex, my best guess is you need to tighten your bearings. In the manual for my plain bearing lathe, SB says to lift on the spindle 75 pounds and that is your runout reading, so don't be afraid to really put some force onto it. Not sure how to adjust bearings on a 101, but I'm sure the info is out there.

http://users.frii.com/katana/618.html

Try putting some work in a collet, and use a center to support it. If the bearings are loose, this might solve your problem as the center will load your spindle and preload the front bearing. It won't preload the rear spindle so it will not be perfect but it should hint it's a bearing preload issue. Good luck!

I just discuss this with my wife. She thought of two things. 1) Before you had put it back together, a bit of dirt or metal may got between the ways and headstock making it rock. 2) If there were shims or washers, they may have been put in backwards or on the wrong side. :thinking: Mark

Yep, good advice
Will do as soon as I can get back to the shop

Back