Calculating shear strength of bolts on corrugated roads

What vehicle is this going into?
I'm wondering if mounting similar to a vibratory feeder is even possible.
We use to mount a two cylinder petrol engine up on top of it to power it and the hydraulic pump.
I seem to recall that the fuel tank was mounted on heavy short/stout springs.

OK, the heck with the fuel tank in the vehicle.
How the devil do you keep your teeth in your head traveling that kind of corrugated/washboard?
I remember some rough roads out in Colorado as a kid, but the picts above make the ones I experienced seem glass smooth...

Hi Dan

This tank goes into a 79 series Toyota Landcruiser. I don't think there are many in the USA - but maybe I'm wrong.

The strategy for travelling on corrugated roads which we follow is, low tyre pressures - like 20 ~ 25 psi and we keep our speed down - so unlike many we don't drive at 80 K/hr - just kills the vehicle.

Here is the Landcruiser as delivered without a tray.

Mal

Been working on a heat shield to go under the new diesel tank.

Pic 1 - the muffler
Pic 2 - the brackets to create the air gap
Pic 3 - the sheet of stainless I plan to use for the heat shield.

The project edges it's way forward.

Mal

MAL_0273.jpg

MAL_0274.jpg

MAL_0275.jpg

An old FJ45, land cruiser, have seen a few in the USA/Alaska. none of them that new. The 1965 FJ40 I had was one ruff ridding thing. So I can imagine what the truck is like on those roads.
Like your project and keep it going. Those were some tuff old vehicles, glad to see you keep it on the road.

WE have some pretty trick suspension under the cruiser and it rides better than our Previous Mazda BT50 (if you get them over your way). Though corrugations are never pleasant.

Here are the straps I have manufactured to hold up the 165 litre diesel tank. I hope this design will help to take some of the load from the cenre of the tank floor rather than shifting all the load carrying effect to the corners. We will see how it sits when she is installed and loaded.

Mal287242

WE have some pretty trick suspension under the cruiser and it rides better than our Previous Mazda BT50 (if you get them over your way). Though corrugations are never pleasant.

Here are the straps I have manufactured to hold up the 165 litre diesel tank. I hope this design will help to take some of the load from the cenre of the tank floor rather than shifting all the load carrying effect to the corners. We will see how it sits when she is installed and loaded.

MalView attachment 287242
Id be interested in the specs on the suspension if you wouldn't mind sharing your Knowledge? I have a 95' dodge ram short bed short cab 4x4 that i Absolutely love and want to restore to road safe condition. My problem is the suspension is sorta like a wild stallion full of energy and i have a medical condition that makes car sickness a common occurrence bad enough to keep me from going anywhere unless its a positive necessity.........SO im looking for options to tame the bucking beast aka the suspension system. At this point i am considering an air bag system for at least the rear axle (hopefully front also) but my only experience with an air ride system is on my bike which was a very positive experience but it's also a much different machine so i could only assume to "possibly " expect a different result? I figure a rig setup to run on those roads for a large portion of its lifetime could provide
Some very useful info for me so Any advice no matter how trivial you think it might be would be Greatly Appreciated. It might be the key that would allow me to get out into the world more often.
Thanks in advance!

Your straps look good, one that I was going to say was either a sub frame or skid plate under the straps with rubber between them and the tank, then the sub frame/plate would take the center load and hold it. or at least that was my thinking

Id be interested in the specs on the suspension if you wouldn't mind sharing your Knowledge? I have a 95' dodge ram short bed short cab 4x4 that i Absolutely love and want to restore to road safe condition. My problem is the suspension is sorta like a wild stallion full of energy and i have a medical condition that makes car sickness a common occurrence bad enough to keep me from going anywhere unless its a positive necessity.........SO im looking for options to tame the bucking beast aka the suspension system. At this point i am considering an air bag system for at least the rear axle (hopefully front also) but my only experience with an air ride system is on my bike which was a very positive experience but it's also a much different machine so i could only assume to "possibly " expect a different result? I figure a rig setup to run on those roads for a large portion of its lifetime could provide
Some very useful info for me so Any advice no matter how trivial you think it might be would be Greatly Appreciated. It might be the key that would allow me to get out into the world more often.
Thanks in advance!

Look up ARB BP51's -
here is a youtube clip about the system.

We have it is good but it was expensive.

Mal

Your straps look good, one that I was going to say was either a sub frame or skid plate under the straps with rubber between them and the tank, then the sub frame/plate would take the center load and hold it. or at least that was my thinking

The tank has baffles which help support the floor from inside and the straps which will have rubber between them and the tank hopefully will do the rest.
Because space does not allow the rear of the three straps to have the full support I have made rubber blocks which sit neatly under the rear strap in four places.

Here are a couple of pics to illustrate.

Cheers

mal

Here is the heat shield for the muffler completed and ready to be fitted back onto the vehicle. I hope I will eventually finish this work on the vehicle and just go and sit by a river somewhere and have an afternoon nap.

Mal287367

Here is the new diesel tank getting the breather plumbing test fitted.

These are the breathers I machined up for the diesel tank and the under tray water tank.

Lots of small steps.287767287768

Back