Calculating shear strength of bolts on corrugated roads

Nice work.
Fyi, in case you weren't aware.....
They sell chemical tank lining kits that are marketed mainly to the motorcycle world that would be perfect to use to protect against corrosion inside the tank.

I have been giving this some consideration and at the minimum I am adding an extra filter - some of the products I have heard can just mush up and become sludge - so an extra problem. So far have not found a product that I have absolute confidence in. But I am thinking and thank you for reminding me to revisit the question.

Well I wish you luck in your endeavors but i would like to add that from my personal experience ive seen the "mush" issue when the product wasnt applied correctly by applying to much of the coating instead od several thin coat to allow the previous coat to dry before adding more and or simply not recommending for the material to cure completely.

Thank you. Exactly which product are you referring too. Also given the inside of a motorcycle tank is reatively small, say 15 to 35 litres capacity and without baffles - I have been thinking how to suitably revolve the 170 litre tank so I can feel assured that I have, 1. completely sealed the inside, 2 I have completely drained out any excess from every possible corner and 3. can ascertain that the product has cured completely and 4. have undertaken all this without ingesting the toxic fumes which at least some, if not all products exude. These points are providing a substantial hurdle for me to overcome. All thoughts are welcome as I am not trying to scrap the idea but rather work through the problems and viable solutions before I get in out of my depth and stuff it up completely.

Wow ok, so first I used a product called Red Kote. My bikes tank was 4.2 U.S. gallons with baffles. I bought a quart sized can, poured 3/4 can into tank, rock/rolled tank for 10 minutes then drained back into original can (about 1/3rd the amount I poured in came out, also some spillage occured in the process). I waited 8 hours then recoated using the remaining liner fluid. Empty what you can of the liquid then let dry.
***I would recommend giving it a few minutes rocking/ turning the tank after you drain the liner that is still liquid from the tank in order to help disperse any pudding that might happen around the baffles after each coat.

So long as diesel fuel hasnt been in the tank (you would need to sandblast the metal if it was) you can degrease and rinse and when you think its clean and ready to move to next steps immediately after rinsing
You can pour in some acetone to dry up the leftover moisture, drain what you can of the acetone then pour in the Red Kote.

As for the rest I guess thats something you will need to work out cause i never did a tank that large sorry.

Thank you for taking your time to explain your process. More thought required on my part. By the way what make of bike do you have? Looks like a Japanese Cruiser, maybe Kawasaki?
This is my sons bike but I have one that is very similar, I just cant lay my hand on a pic to show you.

Thanks for all your tips, much appreciated.

MalDSC05802.jpg

You're welcome, i just hope i haven't caused you more stress with your project!

On the bike in my picture, you are close, its a Suzuki Boulavard M109R.

Is that a 60s BMW R60?

Ah Suzuki was going to be my second guess. Yes that is a 1967 R60. I actually have the R69s version, which is like the spots version, but same frame and just a fe go faster bits.

I have decided I am going to leave the inside untreated and if in a couple of years time it gets uncontrollable rust then I will get a tank made out of aluminium to replace it. I just dont have the time at present to tackle the decision or the implementation of the coating process. It would mean I would have to build some sort of rotating framework so I could effectively rotate the tank - it is quite heavy, but I guess I could just roll it along the ground. I am sure there are solutions. Thank you very much for your ideas and information. Much appreciated.

Mal

R69s Nice. Aren't those sorta rare? I think i remember reading something about BMW making less then 15,000 in the 60s decade but im not sure! Either way nice bike.
My M109R is considered a Power Cruiser and it certainly lives up to that designation.
As for the tank thats of course totally your decision, i was just throwing out a suggestion......fwiw im pretty sure you and a partner would have no trouble gently rocking and Flipping the tank to spread the liner for 10 minutes or so.
Anyway i wish you luck which ever road you choose to travel.

And make sure you keep the shiny side up on those bikes.

What vehicle is this going into?
I'm wondering if mounting similar to a vibratory feeder is even possible.
We use to mount a two cylinder petrol engine up on top of it to power it and the hydraulic pump.
I seem to recall that the fuel tank was mounted on heavy short/stout springs.

OK, the heck with the fuel tank in the vehicle.
How the devil do you keep your teeth in your head traveling that kind of corrugated/washboard?
I remember some rough roads out in Colorado as a kid, but the picts above make the ones I experienced seem glass smooth...

I have used Caswells epoxy to seal up quite a few used tanks and the stuff is superb. The last tank I did was for a Lotus Esprit that had pinholes and perforations from water in the bottom and a corroded top seam from mice building a nest and peeing on it for years. Cleaned up with acetone and drywall screws inside, I sealed up the holes with tape and poured the magic epoxy in. Sealeup us all the pin holes and larger holes. It’s been is service for 2 years now and no leaking. Granted, it’s not driven on those roads either!

Good luck with you project.

Back