Buying my first new lathe. Chinese or Chinese?

I don't see any solar panels on their roof (google). So I might guess that they charge these during off peak electrical rates and then use them with their electrical equipment, fork lifts, floor cleaner, etc when needed. I have been to the plant a few times and I do not see much frivolity in Matt's operation. Anyway, he seems to know how to make a business run both smoothly and profitably, while treating his employees well. He also, seems to have a very low employee turn over rate. :)
I was looking into getting something like the power walls as a battery backup for power failures, but we ended up going with a generator. We don't have variable power rates here yet for residential, but for a business, those power walls could be a good idea.

Which generator brand/model?

I don't see any solar panels on their roof (google). So I might guess that they charge these during off peak electrical rates and then use them with their electrical equipment, fork lifts, floor cleaner, etc when needed. I have been to the plant a few times and I do not see much frivolity in Matt's operation. Anyway, he seems to know how to make a business run both smoothly and profitably, while treating his employees well. He also, seems to have a very low employee turn over rate. :)
I was just there a month ago and they are building a huge building behind this one so I have to assume it is a big part of that

It’s a Generac 22kw model G0070422, we went the whole house route instead of picking which circuits to power, and I can still play in my shop during a power outage :). The difference between the whole house size and going smaller was not that much since there is a lot more labor to wire up the individual circuits compared to one large wire going into the panel. We bought a 500 gallon propane tank for it and connected it to our gas fireplace as well, that way we don’t have to pay fuel tax on the propane. That size tank should last a week outage, if not more.

Well, I finally got it. It was delivered in a box truck and the create they used broke in 40 pieces. A little disappointed but I will keep on as most of the damages are cosmetic and I don't think it actually hurt the lathe. I do see the cheapness in the Chinese lathe compared to the Taiwanese, but I am not 100% convinced the extra 5K would have been worth it. I can tell you one thing I do know that the Chinese cannot do and that is to write a operations manual!! The instructions for this lathe are below awful and for a 9K lathe you would think at least PM would spend a few minutes on upgrading it. I have had a chance to spin it up and made a couple quick cuts and seems good so far.

I have a couple questions for the pro's here for a somewhat newbie. Can I rely on the carriage stop block to actually stop the carriage? Most lathes I have ran this block would stop it but this one doesn't seem to lock down tight enough to do it.
Can I assume that the head stock and tail stock would be dialed in or do I need to do this long tedious process?
When do you use a live center opposed to using a standard center?

Well, I finally got it. It was delivered in a box truck and the create they used broke in 40 pieces. A little disappointed but I will keep on as most of the damages are cosmetic and I don't think it actually hurt the lathe. I do see the cheapness in the Chinese lathe compared to the Taiwanese, but I am not 100% convinced the extra 5K would have been worth it. I can tell you one thing I do know that the Chinese cannot do and that is to write a operations manual!! The instructions for this lathe are below awful and for a 9K lathe you would think at least PM would spend a few minutes on upgrading it. I have had a chance to spin it up and made a couple quick cuts and seems good so far.

I have a couple questions for the pro's here for a somewhat newbie. Can I rely on the carriage stop block to actually stop the carriage? Most lathes I have ran this block would stop it but this one doesn't seem to lock down tight enough to do it.
Can I assume that the head stock and tail stock would be dialed in or do I need to do this long tedious process?
When do you use a live center opposed to using a standard center?
Your going to need to check all your alignments and adjustments

Im no pro but for the Centers
From what I under stand a Live center is for use in the tailstock on heavier pieces of work and high speeds to reduce friction at the center to workpiece.
Also sometimes you cant get the cutting tools near the ends of the material with the live centers.

So how does the lathe get from china to PM intact and it cant make a XXX mile trip with in the US with out getting Fooked up ?
IDK I have got to the point where I refuse delivery when the package is compromised.

So how does the lathe get from china to PM intact and it cant make a XXX mile trip with in the US with out getting Fooked up ?
IDK I have got to the point where I refuse delivery when the package is compromised.
Oh I can tell you how that happens. Its called I could care less delivery just pay me attitude. I filed a report but the answer I got from PM was sorry but you will need to beat it all out with a hammer to fix it or they can order a part that will take 6-8 months to fix. I knew if I refused it I would have to wait that long for another one. This country is going down hill quickly.

Heads up, @Rufustoad- that type of carriage stop only stops the carriage when you're traversing with the handwheel! If you power feed into the carriage stop, you're going to break the weakest link in the drive system very quickly. Feed until you're close, then throw open the half nuts and walk the carriage up to your set stop with the handwheel. Power feed stops that you can run right into are more complicated affairs.

Edit- okay, I looked that lathe up, it has a clutched feed stop. It's not a cutout stop, but it's advertised as okay to run up against.

Last edited:
Back