Buying my first new lathe. Chinese or Chinese?

Rufustoad

Registered
Registered
I am not completely new to lathes but new enough that I admit I am not smart. I posted a few times in other forums and got some really good input but I am a little confused about a few things.
Is there that big of a difference between the PM and Grizzly?
I really like some of the features on the PM 1440 like 8” chuck and a 3yr warranty but my problem now is PM has zero stock on any lathes and they sent me an email a few minutes ago stating it could be December before they get anything.
I have also been looking at the Grizzly 0824. I am sure they both have their goods and bads but just wondering if there is a huge difference between them and are tool posts and some of the basic attachments interchangeable on lathe's?
Also wondering what makes a lathe a gun smithing lathe?

Gun smithing lathe uselessly has a large spindle boar (very good thing) for its size maybe a little longer bed. Tool posts are size specific and can be moved over to another in the similar size.

Last edited:
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but are Chinese the only options? Old equipment is showing up on FB ~Marketplace or Craigs~L monthly, as this type equipment always outlives the owners.

Imports are considered lower quality China is at the bottom Taiwan is generally good. PM has a China line up and a Taiwan line get a Taiwan machine. PM is considered a higher end import over Grizzly I believe and may only have China imports but not shire on that.

I could be wrong on the 2 post above and will be corrected shortly best of luck in your search!

Last edited:
In the Midwest. Find an appropriately sized old USA made industrial lathe. They are abundant. Monarch, Clausing, Cincinnati, Rockwell, Hardinge, etc. as heavy a machine as you can manage for the size you want. There’s nothing like a true industrial lathe.

I have bought two lathe from PM/QMT, and I feel they offer better service and longer warranty than Grizzly. I feel they also specify higher quality levels for their lathes, just because two lathes look the same doesn't mean they are built to the same level. The PM-1440-2SM/V has undergone significant improvements from the previous version. Everything is to a price point. Buying used, I caution people without they experience to know what they are getting and can adequately evaluate a used lathe.

I believe PM inspects all their machines at the (Chinese/Taiwan) suppliers before shipping them to their location. They re-inspect all machines in house (Pittsburgh, PA), and there shipped from their. Also, machines of this style/design have been manufactured for WELL over 50 years. The only differences between Chinese/Taiwan would have to be mainly the care/attention to detail taken in manufacturing. I'm sure Taiwan paint jobs are also probably much better. But either way, machines from both locations will work just fine. Also, new machines will have many more features that older will not.

I'd have no qualms buying a new Chinese machine. Just expect to spend some time going through it; disassemble, deburr, clean, oil, reassemble.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

In the Midwest. Find an appropriately sized old USA made industrial lathe. They are abundant. Monarch, Clausing, Cincinnati, Rockwell, Hardinge, etc. as heavy a machine as you can manage for the size you want. There’s nothing like a true industrial lathe.

Very true but most are worn and need some work or rebuild to be used for accurate work.

Last edited:
That’s very good advice, buying used, you really need to be able to properly evaluate condition or you will be very deep in an expensive hole. On the other hand, there lots of great machines out there that are very high quality and very capable. Skip the cheap ones in need of a rebuild unless that’s your bag Or wish to pay a Pro to do it.

Consider the use objectively. I’ve done little aluminum robot parts on the school’s Grizzly when I have to. It works sufficiently well. However I will drive 15 min home to use one of my Monarch or Hardinge lathes if it is anything more. No way would I consider doing big chunks of steel or 4140ht on the Grizzly.

so the important thing is for you to be able to do the job you wish to accomplish at the accuracy and speed you need. If the need is met with an import then great, if not find a trustworthy knowledgeable buddy to evaluate with you or a reputable dealer/rebuilder and plunk down the cash for an industrial machine.

I started out with Grizzly lathe and mill. 10x22 lathe and a good sized mill. Have since sold that lathe after fixing up an old Monarch. While I have definitely gotten into fixing up older equipment, it really helps to have a working lathe first. While the Grizzly lathe was decent, my impression from lots of reading is the PM lathes have better quality control and support.

Back