Buying my first new lathe. Chinese or Chinese?

Is there that big of a difference between the PM and Grizzly?
I really like some of the features on the PM 1440 like 8” chuck and a 3yr warranty but my problem now is PM has zero stock on any lathes and they sent me an email a few minutes ago stating it could be December before they get anything.
PM VS Griz - I've got a PM1440HD bought in 2016. Decent machine, no real problems but some things that say "Chinese quality control." The prices on this type of machine have really gone up since I bought. I compared what came with my machine to what PM now has as standard, they've reduced to standard kit, likely to keep the prices looking better. My PM came with a 6" 3 jaw & an 8" 4 jaw, set of tool holders, tailstock drill chuck, 12" face plate, live & 2 dead centers, follow & steady rests, change gears, MT5 to 3 spindle sleeve, touch up paint.... At the same time, I bought a few options that shipped with it: taper attachment, 5C adjustable chuck (very nice!), set of 5C collets**, set of turning tools.... The 1.55" spindle bore VS the larger bores on the higher priced machines might be a considerations for your applications. **5C collets by 1/32s was a mistake, should have bought by 1/64ths. I've since bought an 8" 3 jaw Taiwan made chuck, big difference in quality compared to the stock Chinese3 jaw!

My only experience with Griz was a large, heavy drill press. Total garbage, no parts support. YMMV.
If you can afford it, buy a Taiwan made machine. The fact that Quality Tool (PM) is out of lathes says a lot about their success. I've had good support from them.

I went from these Taiwan made PM machines:

D8BC75B0-8A4D-4829-A666-F56F13537F71_1_105_c.jpeg

To these Chinese machines:

580EEA47-BD2C-4A85-B24F-51E664DFA062_1_105_c.jpeg

In life, shi...err...stuff happens. :oops:

SUPER EXCITED!! I have a new lathe coming Wednesday morning and I cannot wait to start throwing chips. I must say John at PM has been a very helpful person and the entire experience has been well worth it. They sent me a pic Friday with a note saying HERE IS YOUR MACHINE:)

Attachments

• D10_20240216160656622.jpg
    D10_20240216160656622.jpg
    702.9 KB · Views: 56
I don't see any solar panels on their roof (google). So I might guess that they charge these during off peak electrical rates and then use them with their electrical equipment, fork lifts, floor cleaner, etc when needed. I have been to the plant a few times and I do not see much frivolity in Matt's operation. Anyway, he seems to know how to make a business run both smoothly and profitably, while treating his employees well. He also, seems to have a very low employee turn over rate. :)

Back