Bringing a PM-1054TV-3PH into my Garage

They are family.
And here is my youngest daughter. This photo is pre-earache Daisy fully primped on her first birthday. She has yet to celebrate her second birthday.

611A4A5F-8819-49CB-8E99-4C9A206A3554.png

She is not allowed in the garage due to metal chips.

Fancy, nice looking pup. I haven't been in the garage for two weeks, my wife showed me a spring chip. How'd this get in here??? The dog..... :rolleyes:

I set my alarm for 5:40 AM this morning. I immediately called Precision Matthews to pay the balance (I am on the West Coast). That is a lot of money to spend in a single phone call, but I plan to enjoy this knee mill for the rest of my life.

If I live for 25 more years, this knee mill will have cost me $14.23/week to own. I remember being in school on the knee mills, thinking to myself “Someday I will have one of these at my house.”

Precision Matthews does a *very* good job. Even though I didn’t ask, John went out to check that the machine was all palleted up and ready to ship out, which it was.

Again, even though I didn’t ask, PM emailed me a digital copy of the paid invoice, and, more importantly, a PRO number. The freight company is YRC.

I know that I posted this a lot, but this is the fourth machine that I bought from Precision Matthews, not to mention a half dozen other “non-machine” orders. PM has not made a single mistake with anything.

Last edited:
I still need to research & obtain spindle oil, etc. I better hurry up with that.

I also need to make or buy a fixture to attach a CXA toolpost to the mill table so that I can hook my Sky Hook tool post crane on the mill table in order to lift my big vise up on the table.

Here is a picture of AXA and CXA bolt down adapters:

BA594E65-29EB-43CA-AF36-175D63449561.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought 8 (5/8” table slot width, 1/2-13 tpi tapped) T-slot nuts from Zoro, as well as the CXA bolt down adapter pictured above.

Why am I talking about a CXA adapter for my milling machine? Because my tool post crane was purchased for use on a lathe which has a CXA tool post.

I called the rigging company this morning, and they were able to schedule the delivery for the first day of my vacation (which is a Monday). This will allow 10 calendar days for the pallet to travel from coast to coast.

If the timing above works out, I will have 7 days to work on the knee mill without being interrupted by work.

What do you guys think I might be missing in order to get to the point where I’m making chips?

I have:

(1) a good amount of tooling that will be shared with the PM-25MV (also uses R8 collets),

(2) an 8” milling machine vise,

(3) an RPC with a 20A breaker, 6’ of 4/4 SOOW cable with the male 20A receptacle that matches the dedicated female receptacle in the RPC,

(4) I still need to research about the spindle oil, etc. I have plenty of Mobil Vactra #2 for the one-shot lube system,

(5) a T-slot cleaner that I made in school two years ago,

(5) a DTI and an El Cheapo adapter to fit the DTI into a collet. This is for trammeling.

Last edited:
I wonder if it would be wise to buy this lubrication kit. As you can see in the description, this is for a Bridgeport. I wonder if I can assume that a Precision Matthews knee mill would require the exact same fluids.

EDIT: I bought it.

Last edited:
Check online for the manual and the lubrication requirements. I go through a lot of way oil being close to the ocean, I have to coat everything to TRY to stay ahead of the rust. Amazon, or Ebay free shipping for the name brand you like, I use Mobile in a 5 gal bucket.

Back