Bringing a PM-1054TV-3PH into my Garage

Why use #8 for a 20 amp load?
I don’t know the answer to that. This is the same size & type of SOOW cable that I use on my 30A engine lathe circuit.

Is 8 AWG overkill for a 20A cable?
I know that 6 AWG is A-okay for 40A. I also know that one can almost always get away with 8 AWG for 40A. I don’t know much about 20A circuits; does one use larger diameter wire for 220V circuits?

What should I have used? Am I okay here?

I just Googled the matter, and I found this:

9609147B-9969-442D-A612-09B6E04C06FD.png

Next I would like to Google if one needs to use larger wire for a 220V circuit, but now I have to go to work.

I still have a lot to learn about electrical.

Last edited:
Update:

Summary:

Everything has been pushed back 9 calendar days.

Details:

The original estimated delivery date for the freight delivery was May 17. I made an appointment with the rigging company to come to my house on May 23. I also took the week off of work for this.

Long story short, the freight did not come on time, and I had to cancel the rigging appointment.

The freight got delivered 6 days after the estimate, and now the rigging company doesn’t have a time slot for me until June 1. I don’t have that day off, so I texted my boss and told him I need to come in to work 2-3 hours late that day.

In the text, I also told my boss that he can call me in to work any day(s) this week, so I will probably make some extra money as a result of all this. That extra money would go straight to paying for the machine, as I still owe $11,700 on it.

First world problems, right?

Update on the update:

The staffing at work the rest of this week was hosed, so my boss scheduled me in the rest of the week.

This is financially a good thing. I don’t mind working; I am a UPS driver, & I would miss all my dog biscuit customers. Oh, yeah, and the human customers, as well.

So I had thought that I was going to spend this week setting up the knee mill, but instead I am going to spend it working and paying for the machine.

Now that I have an extra 9 days, I’m going to research if I can use a pallet jack to move my machines around, and thus saving money on paying the rigging crew which charges at least $400 an hour.

I don’t have time to research it now, but I know that my engine lathe (approx. 4000 lbs.) can be moved by a forklift. Based on this, I will assume that I can move the engine lathe around my garage with a pallet jack of sufficient weight capacity.

In order to use a pallet jack to move the knee mill around (3000 lbs.), I would build a base (I prefer metal) designed just for this. The base could also serve to raise the knee mill up 2-4 inches.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Now that I have an extra 9 days, I’m going to research if I can use a pallet jack to move my machines around, and thus saving money on paying the rigging crew which charges at least $400 an hour.

I don’t have time to research it now, but I know that my engine lathe (approx. 4000 lbs.) can be moved by a forklift. Based on this, I will assume that I can move the engine lathe around my garage with a pallet jack of sufficient weight capacity.

In order to use a pallet jack to move the knee mill around (3000 lbs.), I would build a base (I prefer metal) designed just for this. The base could also serve to raise the knee mill up 2-4 inches.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this?
A pallet jack is how I moved my mill around. I believe my mill is around 2200 pounds. It was super easy to roll it around.
ACRA3.jpg

A pallet jack is how I moved my mill around. I believe my mill is around 2200 pounds. It was super easy to roll it around.
View attachment 407800
Does your pallet jack have any special kind of narrow forks?

The diagram below shows the dimensions for the base of the mill.

1D14545E-6F3F-4139-8CC7-7117DF79AC71.png

To grab the mill as in your photo, the forks would have to be a fair amount under 38” wide.

To grab the base of the mill on the narrow side, The forks would have to be a fair amount under 23” wide.

The knee mill weighs 3,000 lbs.

Using a pallet jack to move the engine lathe is easy money. It just have to have a capacity of 4,000 lbs.

I tried to look up the exact weight of a PM-1660TL, but I couldn’t find it. I know that the whole thing is under 4,400 lbs.

Last edited:
Do you guys think this pallet jack would work? The forks are 21” wide, and the weight capacity is 5,500 lbs.

Screenshot:

3CD87E3B-0BFD-4F84-8E79-95D28ED99445.png

Last edited:
I never seem to have time to research things. I am hoping to buy a pallet jack with the money that I save from paying a rigging company to move my machines around.

I would save money by just having the rigging company leave the machine on a pallet in my garage, and then I would do the rest.

Since the knee mill comes on a wooden pallet, I could do something like (1) cut away the pallet, (2) jack up everything, and then figure out the rest from there. The end part is tricky for me. I am planning to raise the machine a few inches. I am 5’ 9” tall.

I would have use for a pallet jack (the shorter and narrower the forks, the better) to move my boxes of stuff around the shop, much the same way as I move my welding carts around the garage. The plan here would be to leave about 8 totes on the pallet jack, and then moving the whole thing out of my way (every time I work in the shop).

I would have ordered this one right now, but it is temporarily unavailable:

Screenshot:

D8B06B02-42F4-42A2-ADF5-8D1FC9394CE5.png

Back