Big ole wrenches!

Ever price large nuts? Then can cost $25 to $35 each (probably a lot less in quantity).

It depends. Are you using JIC, JIS, Inch Face Seal, Metric Face Seal, SAE Flare, BPP, DIN, or SAE O-Ring fittings? They all have different wrench sizes for fittings of the same tube size.
You named off all those types of fittings like you knew what I needed to know and then nothing. What is the smallest size I need to start with? What is the biggest I'll see on mid sized tractors to log splitters and such. If they don't go below a certain size I can just buy the sizes above that floor.

I remember my grandfather telling me about his working on the German luxury liner the Vaterland that was seized by the U.S. at the beginning of are entry into WW1. The Germans had tried to scuttle her and nearly succeeded. He described to me the removal of a cylinder head, which required a huge wrench being lifted three stories and supported by crane, while 12 men with sledge hammers pounded in time on the handle to break loose the head nuts. In my best Crocodile Dundee "now that's a wrench". Mike

2" Proto with a 5/32 Craftsman . The Proto won't fit into the Vidmars .

Attachments

• IMG_0687.JPG
    IMG_0687.JPG
    548 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0688.JPG
    IMG_0688.JPG
    674.4 KB · Views: 5
You named off all those types of fittings like you knew what I needed to know and then nothing. What is the smallest size I need to start with? What is the biggest I'll see on mid sized tractors to log splitters and such. If they don't go below a certain size I can just buy the sizes above that floor.
Without writing a book, it is hard to list all the fitting sizes existing out there. That is why I asked what type of fitting you were dealing with. For example, here is a chart of straight thread hose fittings, and Column C shows the hex sizes of the nuts. It doesn't show the sizes of the hex of the male side of the fitting, which is somewhat smaller. Every type of fitting I listed, and I only listed part of the types available, has a similar range of wrench requirements.

6c7d7519f01b4d838e72365071d8f200.png

Notice that in many cases, there are multiple hex sizes for a given hose size!

Most charts of fitting sizes that you find on the internet list the thread size, but not the hex size. Some manufacturers use a different hex size for a given fitting, even though there is an industry standard. You have to go to the catalog to get the actual sizes. Gates recently changed hex sizes on some JIC fittings, and I've come across a couple of inch-specification fittings with metric hex!

Without writing a book, it is hard to list all the fitting sizes existing out there. That is why I asked what type of fitting you were dealing with. For example, here is a chart of straight thread hose fittings, and Column C shows the hex sizes of the nuts. It doesn't show the sizes of the hex of the male side of the fitting, which is somewhat smaller. Every type of fitting I listed, and I only listed part of the types available, has a similar range of wrench requirements.

Most charts of fitting sizes that you find on the internet list the thread size, but not the hex size. Some manufacturers use a different hex size for a given fitting, even though there is an industry standard. You have to go to the catalog to get the actual sizes. Gates recently changed hex sizes on some JIC fittings, and I've come across a couple of inch-specification fittings with metric hex!
That chart helped immensely. 9/16 and up will cover a lot. I'll probably get 30/60 angle wrenches up to 1 1/2" to start and then buy the bigger metric stuff as I go.

I can buy the 9/16, 11/16, 7/8, and 1" for $65 instead of buying a set for $130.

The 1 1/4, 1 3/8, and 1 1/2 are quite a bit pricier so I'll look for options on those. I've got short handle wrenches in those sizes and crows feet.

That chart helped immensely. 9/16 and up will cover a lot. I'll probably get 30/60 angle wrenches up to 1 1/2" to start and then buy the bigger metric stuff as I go.
I'd recommend starting at 3/8". 7/16, 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4 sizes would fill in the gaps in the smaller sizes, and sets are cheaper than buying individual wrenches. It is fairly rare to need an angle wrench bigger than 1", but it happens. A "Ford" adjustable wrench with a piece of tubing/conduit/pipe for a cheater can access some pretty tight places. You can get a modern version that is larger, and won't have to abuse an antique!

b8b9304d634bc4ecf289434f3f0c36e7.jpg

I can buy the 9/16, 11/16, 7/8, and 1" for $65 instead of buying a set for $130.

The 1 1/4, 1 3/8, and 1 1/2 are quite a bit pricier so I'll look for options on those. I've got short handle wrenches in those sizes and crows feet.
The Harbor Freight sets are decent enough for occasional use. I have the large set and it has never failed.

The Harbor Freight sets are decent enough for occasional use. I have the large set and it has never failed.
Are there fittings for all those smaller sizes? Buying the set is not out of budget. I just want to be frugal and have great capacity.

Back