Best Options To Order For 1340GT

As I put a deposit on the last available lathe in this last shipment, I was unable to change anything on the lathe that comes 'factory installed only'. My lathe is a single phase, but Matt had a factory 3-phase motor in the shop that I bought from him. I also got the upgrade package as well. He offered the QCTP as a free upgrade, and I didn't say no. :)

I then had him add the VFD to the package, and I will be getting the taper attachment soon after my wallet comes out of intensive care. I may eventually get the face plate but it will be a ways off as that will spend more time in a drawer than my four-jaw. But I will be asking him about the rollers for the steady (or make my own) as they are better for rifle barrel work. Jury is still out on any collet setup as I see that as more for production than custom one off stuff. That and I now have a 3-jaw set-tru that can be just as accurate as any collet setup, even if it takes more time to set up.

My lathe will likely be here next week, and now I'm a bit nervous about this whole chuck/bed thing. Hope mine is ok...

Bill...

I ordered the face plate... it comes with the 3 pins to mount the spindle... D1-4

Will catch up this evening.

John

He asked if he needed to maybe fire anybody when he got back from overseas. Evidently they always ship the chuck atop the ways. I suggested more padding than a layer of Taiwanese cardboard between the two parts. Haven't hit him up for anything..............yet. But he did suggest I should feel free to ask & that he'd make it right. Thinking about that 5C collet chuck, wonder what kind of discount I might be able to get, hmmmm.

That sounds like a good trade to me, get the WHOLE setup... :)

Maybe a deal on one of those Bison chucks instead. perhaps I'll just use the 5C stuff for the mill. Decisions, decisions............
Meanwhile, the electrical box has been gutted & a loom with 5 twisted pairs installed for the switches, pot & light. Used this wire when I did the mill & it worked out well. Kinda fat for the clamps, but doable. Been studying the schematics provided by mksj, & think I'll have her wired up shortly. Still need to get another box for the VFD, but that's the easy part.

Matt does have some pretty good prices on Bison. I wish he had them back when I purchased my lathe.

Started tackling the wiring a few days ago, remembered why I hated working on some of those tiny spaces on airplanes with little connectors & tight spaced terminal boards.

1_zpsugzgw4jx.jpg
2_zpsnatnrvdc.jpg

My first shot at doing this ended up too much like the spaghetti factory.

3_zpsho0kllxl.jpg

Still room for improvement, but a tiny bit tidier

4_zps8m7s4zvc.jpg
5_zps2klt7mri.jpg

Got the entire setup as close to the wall as the cherry picker would allow & used a couple of my alignment bolts & some square tube to get it the rest of the way in.

6_zpsutb6j7d3.jpg

All set for cleanup, DRO head & small parts installation. I was, believe it or not, smart enough (this time around) to test it BEFORE pushing it close to the wall.

7_zpssmviykak.jpg

As a side note, I bought a 5L280W belt from NAPA & when installed the gear cover on the lathe will no longer fit. Evidently they've changed something. The belt that came with it has B25 on it, so my guess is that perhaps a 5L250 or 5L260 would be closer.

Wiring is looking good Marcus... If I get mine on the stand this weekend, will tackle the wiring.
The NEMA box came in yesterday, so I can start mounting things.

Been studying the manual for the WJ200... Chinglish is definitely a new dialect... takes some getting used to... :confusion:

Back