Best Options To Order For 1340GT

Maybe he's got a PM-1340GT for cheap. Otherwise, I'm with the last two posters......................baffled

So far, have not heard anything from the poster...

They are welcome to contact me... by PM or Email.

I recently received my PM1340GT in July with most of the extras that Matt offers, except for the 5C collets and associated tooling. I use ER32 and ER40 collets and collet chucks instead in my work making custom fountain pens and other articles. I like the DRO but discovered early on that it pays to make sure the fasteners securing the glass scales are tight; one on the end of the my carriage glass scale was loose, so the scale was self adjusting from pulling on the DRO cable when the carriage moved. Otherwise, I feel the quality of what Matt offers is very high and I love the lathe. BTW, with use you will develop new ideas about what additional tooling you need so I wouldn't sweat perfecting everything now.

Lathe finally arrived yesterday. Lotsa excitement around here, (OK, only I was excited).

This is where she's going to live:

2_zps4yv4v6vq.jpg

Got the stand semi-in-place

3_zps1iltxrxu.jpg

Wheeled in the heavy part & noticed this damage on the ways. Somebody packed the 4 jaw on top of it & didn't secure it, OUCH!!!
Will have to see what Matt says for next course of action. Bummed to put it mildly.

4_zpsv22sukzt.jpg
5_zps5sxmyadf.jpg
6_zpsry3s4rap.jpg
7_zpskvjias2n.jpg

Use a Norton stone to get any rough edges off and then ignore it. This is a machine tool, not a fine work of art.

The little dents will hold way oil better. Sort of like the much-prized hand-scraping marks on high end mills (and POS spray painted "owner refurbished mills", where the "hand scraping" is done with an angle grinder) hold the oil on the ways better and help keep it lubricated.

Sort of like the first time you use a Norton stone on a magnetic chuck... the beautiful ground top gets covered with scratches... but it works better when you get rid of rough edges from scratches...

That may be true, but it's still NOT the way (or the proper place) to package a heavy item when shipping it, new or not!

That may be true, but it's still NOT the way (or the proper place) to package a heavy item when shipping it, new or not!
You are right. You are lucky (or maybe Matt is) that the damage is not worse.... the chuck bouncing around on the bed all the way across the ocean could have caused some serious damage. The chuck should have been strapped with metal straps to the pallet underneath the machine.

Try to talk Matt into some "free" accessories, and then enjoy the machine.

I made a conscious decision to ignore visual defects and imperfections on my G0709 that didn't affect performance, and after a short while I stopped noticing them. It is a heavy cast iron tool meant to be used and abused.

It didn't come across the ocean like that. Just from PA. They uncrate & test these as well as fitting the accessories before they're re-crated & shipped out. Guessing someone may have forgotten to put it in the bottom & had the crate already made up when they noticed it hadn't been packed (don't need to ask why I'd guess that [roll eyes]).

Marcus...

Sorry your ways are dinged... As noted above... probably the largest damage is to us guys sense of 'perfect'... :cool 2:
(There are a LOT of smiley faces to choose from).

I would see if I can get some merch from Matt, and let him know... so he can tighten the leash on the guys in his shop.

He asked if he needed to maybe fire anybody when he got back from overseas. Evidently they always ship the chuck atop the ways. I suggested more padding than a layer of Taiwanese cardboard between the two parts. Haven't hit him up for anything..............yet. But he did suggest I should feel free to ask & that he'd make it right. Thinking about that 5C collet chuck, wonder what kind of discount I might be able to get, hmmmm.

Back