Best Options To Order For 1340GT

marcusp323

Active User
Registered
Just about ready to pull the trigger & order a 1340GT, Wondering whether somebody that owns one would mention with what options they ordered theirs & whether they'd do it that way again or order more/less extras from QMT. Figure I'm going to opt for the 3 phase motor & then buy a VFD just because I like what I've been reading about the versatility & smoothness of that setup. Any input is appreciated.
New to this site, been playing with an old (but great condition) SB 9 for a few years. Know just about enough to get myself in trouble, so figure it must be time to get something bigger & more capable. Besides, I'm moving into a place where I'll have a 19x22 ft room (separate from the garage even) all to myself for some toys, & got permission from the boss to buy what I want. Might toy with the idea of a mill soon too.
Hope I don't have to enlarge the door to move the bigger lathe in, but sometimes sacrifices must be made, & I do have a Sawzall.........:makingdecision:
Thanks,
Mark

DRO. Hands down the most useful and production enhancing device to get on a lathe. Matt has good prices. You know you will want one sooner or later, why not sooner?

First off, great choice on the lathe. I have been extremely happy with my PM1340GT. I would suggest ordering the 3-phase and using a VFD but it looks like you are already going that route. Other than that I ordered the preferred package as I needed chucks due to letting my previous ones go with my last lathe.

I did not order the DRO for the lathe. I have been able to get by just fine with the dials on my previous lathe as well as the one at work and didn't feel a DRO was necessary on a lathe. I did however, splurge and order the 3-axis DRO on my mill which I would do again in a heart beat. Maybe someday I will add one to the lathe but I am quite comfortable without a DRO on the lathe at the current time.

Should have mentioned that the preferred package was pretty much a no-brainer for me. Never had a DRO, but they sound cool, & that's half of the excuse to get one I suppose. I'm just going to be dinking around with my own projects so production time isn't much of a factor.

You dont need a dro at all. But they sure make things easier. I have 3 axis on the mill but none on the lathe yet. I intend to buy a better dro for the mill and move the cheap one to the lathe.

What options are available?

I would recommend getting the preferred package, the quality of the additional parts are high and you will spend a lot more if you buy everything piecemeal. Agree on the DRO, probably an Easson ES-8a. If you do not have a VFD, then I would include a Hitachi WJ200 (for the WJ200 you will need to buy a 50 Ohm 500-1000W braking resistor, probably eBay). When you buy everything in a package, the pricing is about as good as you will find anywhere else, and without the wasted time and additional shipping costs.

The three phase lathe, saves you the cost of buying a motor, but the stock PM1340GT motor whines like a cat in heat, even with the carrier frequency set high. Options for alternate 3 phase motors that fits in the tight motor area are limited. Possibly the Marathon Motor Metric series or their E467 would be my suggestions, but both will need some mods to fit. I recommend AutomationDirect for relays and switches, wide selection at reasonable prices. http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...uttons_-z-_Switches_-z-_Indicators/22mm_Metal. It is recommended to use shielded wiring for the controls and VFD to motor connection, especially if you dial up the VFD carrier frequency to quiet down the whining motor.

The machine is worthy of a good BXA QCTP, the Phase II set can be had for under 200 at Enco when on sale. Otherwise Aloris or Dorian, snag a set at ENCO or MSC when they have a deep sale discount with free shipping. I ended up with a Dorian, as I will be using it hopefully for many years. I also have some Aloris holders, fit and finish on the Aloris and Dorian make them a joy to use. When you look at the cost of decent QCTP/tool holders over the years of use, getting it right the first time is worth the price difference.

Looks like these are the options available from QMT

With Preferred Equipment Lathe Package
PM-1340GT $5599.00
Includes everything above, PLUS
· 6" High Precision 3 Jaw Chuck · Micrometer Carriage Stop
· 8" High Precision 4 Jaw Chuck · Halogen Work Light
· 1/2" Drill Chuck with MT3 Arbor and Key · Precision Live Center, MT#3
Optional Equipment
10" Face Plate $99.00
Quick Change Tool Post Set, WEDGE Type with 5 Holders, Installed $199.95
Coolant System, with Pump, Hoses, Nozzle (Factory Order Only) $199.95
Taper Turning Attachment $599.00
4 Position Carriage Stop $99.00
5C Collet Chuck $299.00
5C Lever Type Collet Closer, Installed $599.00
Variable Speed Option (Factory Installed Only) $995.00
Spindle Spider, for Gunsmithing Use (Made in USA) $199.00
Roller Jaws for Steady Rest (Made in USA) $189.00
Easson 2 axis DRO, Installed $795.00

Looks like these are the options available from QMT

*With Preferred Equipment Lathe Package
PM-1340GT $5599.00
Includes everything above, PLUS
· 6" High Precision 3 Jaw Chuck · Micrometer Carriage Stop
· 8" High Precision 4 Jaw Chuck · Halogen Work Light
· 1/2" Drill Chuck with MT3 Arbor and Key · Precision Live Center, MT#3
Optional Equipment
*10" Face Plate $99.00
* (?) Quick Change Tool Post Set, WEDGE Type with 5 Holders, Installed $199.95
Coolant System, with Pump, Hoses, Nozzle (Factory Order Only) $199.95
Taper Turning Attachment $599.00
*4 Position Carriage Stop $99.00
5C Collet Chuck $299.00
5C Lever Type Collet Closer, Installed $599.00
Variable Speed Option (Factory Installed Only) $995.00
Spindle Spider, for Gunsmithing Use (Made in USA) $199.00
*Roller Jaws for Steady Rest (Made in USA) $189.00
*Easson 2 axis DRO, Installed $795.00

I am about to order a 1340GT also... the items with an asterisk (*) to the left are the ones I am considering.

Question for you guys that already have the lathe: Is the QCTP that Matt supplies a good choice... or better to buy aftermarket?

Also; does Matt sell the Hitachi VFD's... if so, is he competitive on them?

THX

GA

I cannot comment on the QCTP that Matt/QMT offers, as I chose to purchase a Dorian. I had a Phase II on my previous lathe and it was ok for the money but I just figured this will be my last lathe and I am not going cheap. I don't know what brand QMT sells.

Also FYI, if you have a milling machine or access to one you can save yourself $50 bucks on the QCTP from QMT. I believe Matt sells them for $149.00 or $199.00 with the "T" machined and installed. Personally, that's 50 bucks I would keep in my pocket.

Agree with Mike on the QCTP, I also milled my own T nut. QMT sells Hitachi VFDs. I would get a decent sensorless vector control VFD that has a manual in English and is understandable, I would skip the bargain basement ones sold on eBay. You should be able to get some better pricing when you package everything together. So do some window shopping in advance to get an idea of pricing, then do the dance.

Back