Best Options To Order For 1340GT

If I was spending your money I would get the dro and either draw bar closer or chuck for 5c collets. Taper attachment is cool if you need alot of tapers. You can make bearing fingers for your steady pretty easy and same with carriage stop. I also would not buy the face plate just because I aint never needed it. So it could wait in lieu of cooler things ahahaha. Evn the dro can be had cheaper if you want it. Some good deals on ebay for 2 axis dros

Thinking if you were spending MY money, you'd get ALL the cool stuff you could manage to find!
Having no first hand knowledge of DROs, & lots of first hand experience with some ebay sellers, I'm going to let Matt handle it. Will try to pick up an Aloris or Dorian while I'm waiting for a delivery date. At least 2 months out, but that's OK. Been waiting years to take the plunge on this much machine. Getting the upgrade package, 3 ph motor & Hitachi VFD, Easson DRO installed too. Think it'll be a good place to start.
Thanks to the people who chimed in & gave me tips on their experiences.

shoot just the machine with hss bit C clamped to the compounds a good place to start. You will love using it

I am about to order a 1340GT also... the items with an asterisk (*) to the left are the ones I am considering.
Unless you have a specific use in mind for the face plate, I would skip it for now. Mine sits in a drawer, still covered in cosmoline. I get everything done with a 3 jaw, 4 jaw, and 5C collet chuck.

I would strongly recommend a collet chuck and collet set. I splurged for a Bison.

Roller jaws for the steady rest. hmm. Again, unless you have a specific use in mind, the steady rest doesn't get used a whole lot in most setups. It is in the drawer with my faceplate.

Unless you have a specific use in mind for the face plate, I would skip it for now. Mine sits in a drawer, still covered in cosmoline. I get everything done with a 3 jaw, 4 jaw, and 5C collet chuck.

I would strongly recommend a collet chuck and collet set. I splurged for a Bison.

Roller jaws for the steady rest. hmm. Again, unless you have a specific use in mind, the steady rest doesn't get used a whole lot in most setups. It is in the drawer with my faceplate.

Agreed. I would pass on the faceplate for the near future, if you decide you need one you can always get one at a later date. I had one for my last lathe that I rarely used. I probably didn't really need to use it when I did, I merely used it because I had it and wanted to use it so I felt better about purchasing it in the first place.

When looking at QCTPs, make sure to get the wedge style vs. the pin or plunger style. The wedge style are much preferred because they pull the toolholder down and back locating it in the EXACT same place each time. This way you can remove and re-insert the toolholder and be spot on the same place before. Not so with the plunger or pin style tool post.

Agreed on the wedge type, feels more secure vs. the piston type on my 9", though they didn't quite get the indexing correct when the collar got threaded for the handle on my Phase II. Makes it kind of a pain to fit the tool holder as it has to be wiggled on because the handle gets in the way for one of the dovetails. Used to it though.
Thinking I'll keep my eyes open for a used Aloris or Dorian for now. Got a couple months to find something & there appears to be many around.

Get all the options that you can afford. DRO, Tools, 4 jaw and centers. You will find that the tool packages from Matt will save you money over buying them and doing the install yourself. Matt always provides a really good deal on all of the options he offers, so don't blow up your budget, but get as much as you can as early as possible. You won't regret getting it fully outfitted from the very beginning

Bob

Man you guys are buying these things new and I can get rid of mine.

Man you guys are buying these things new and I can get rid of mine.

You are on the other side of Atlanta from me...

What do you have that you want to sell?

(Or did I not understand... :) )????

Back